Magic Fluke with wooden keyboard?

I’d like to know players comments on wooden fretboard on Fluke. I have a tenor Fluke with poly keyboard. Is is worth either a.) sending in to get one put on or b.) better to sell what I got and re order with solid keyboard.

Cheers

I don't like the plastic fretboard because of the looks and because the frets are "invisible." I live within driving distance of Magic Fluke, so I made two trips to have two fretboards swapped for $75 each. When I ordered directly from Magic Fluke, I specified the wooden fretboard.

An alternative is to put graphics on the fretboard. I've made them myself, but it's much easier to buy them from Neck Illusions. For less than the price of postage to Magic Fluke, you can pick a design and make your fretboard beautiful.
https://neckillusions.com/

An alternative, which I don't recommend, is to buy a standard fretboard from Amazon or eBay and do the swap yourself. Fret spacing will be different, so you will have to reposition the bridge. I did this myself just to see how it would go. The results were all right, but there was a considerable amount of work involved.

001.jpg DIY Stickers

400.jpg Magic Fluke dark wood

100.jpg Magic Fluke light wood

103.jpg Standard eBay fretboard

I got a really nice, personal email from Phyllis at MFC. She confirmed $79 to change to wooden fretboard. You pay to ship out there. They charge $79 and $30 to ship back. They don’t charge labour to do this work. Very fair. IMHO........even with exchange it’s worth it. I’m thinking of doing it. I have other ukes to play and I’m sure wooden fretboard would make me pick up the Fluke even more.

Now, what to do for packing it up box wise. Suggestions?

I like neck illusions But have not tried them. I have stickers on fretboard now as paint had worn off the dots. I’ve painted the frets and it works pretty good. With paint on frets, it’s easy to see. It’s last a long time too! I’m thinking wooden will give it a nicer feel and sound. It’s not that I hate poly like I hated the friction tuners. I just think this Fluke would sound better/ play better with wooden fretboard!

With my other four tenors it a hard to justify a solid spruce or Koa. Add Pegheds, add dots, add grip strips...........And this laminate soundboard (walnut) sounds pretty good. The Fluke has a certain sound that for some songs, really sounds good with the poly body. I’m sure solid soundboard sound even better. Thanks for all the input. I will post results.

....Now, what to do for packing it up box wise. Suggestions?....

These things are practically indestructible IMO, so I'd recommend wrapping lightly with bubble wrap/packing tape, and putting it in the smallest box possible (make your own, from a larger box and some tape), maybe with additional crushed up newspaper, to save on the shipping cost to them. Good luck, you'll love then wooden fretboard!

Top Bottom