Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aiersi Soprano Pineapple Ukulele.

I was wrong... Ignore me!

I was thinking of another Chinese manufacturer that starts with "A"...

Never mind!
    Last edited by ksiegel; 06-02-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Bad memory
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Looks interesting. Looking at specs this seems to be made mainly of synthetic materials like HPL and Richlite with plastic tuners. Can someone confirm and also tell that this is suitable for playing in the rain or other outdoor conditions?

It is standard laminate. It is a composite fretboard...whatever that means! I wouldn't play any HPL ukulele in rain...I would only put an Outdoor Ukulele through that.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Cool Aiersi 'Pineapple' Soprano

I was quite pleased with the sound of my Aiersi Pineapple soprano, but hoped it might improve as the strings settled in. It didn't. There was a rather strange resonance happening, which seemed to be coming from the 'E' string. While the sound of the uke was pleasant, it didn't exactly gladden my heart.

I've ordered a set of Martin M600, but they won't arrive until the end of next week. Being impatient, I decided to fit some Aquila 'Nylgut' concert strings. I've had this set in stock for about twelve years. They were taken off a brand new Ohana Vita Uke.

It has made a noticeable improvement. The new (very old!) strings are still settling, but already the sound has more authority and balance. It's not easy to compare and describe sound. Suffice to say, I won't be in any hurry to try the M600s on my Pineapple. I like it as it is!

As Choir Guy has said, this uke is much, much better than it has any right to be, particularly considering the very low price.

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    It is standard laminate. It is a composite fretboard...whatever that means! I wouldn't play any HPL ukulele in rain...I would only put an Outdoor Ukulele through that.
    Richlite is a brand name for a type of HPL. Waterproof when it's a countertop, but not sure about fretboards.
    Last edited by glennerd; 06-07-2020 at 05:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Glenn

I'm not clear about the distinction between different types of modern materials, but the body of my Aiersi Pineaple does not seem to made of regular three ply wood. I would think it is some kind of HPL. It resembles Formica, but is less shiny. The wood grain appearance of the surface is most convincing.

Whatever, it is a very suitable material for making ukuleles.

John Colter.

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    I'm not clear about the distinction between different types of modern materials, but the body of my Aiersi Pineaple does not seem to made of regular three ply wood. I would think it is some kind of HPL. It resembles Formica, but is less shiny. The wood grain appearance of the surface is most convincing.

Whatever, it is a very suitable material for making ukuleles.

John Colter.
    Yeah, Enya does a pretty good job at the wood grain look on their HPLs too. Martin could have learned a thing or two from them, but they don't make the 0XK anymore.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Reading comments below - i don't believe 'composite' in this case necessarily means richlite (though Richlite IS composite as used by Enya). Composite also refers to wooden fingerboards that are basically made of laminate strips (lots and lots of them) stuck together in a long stack then cut. If you look close - if you can see vertical lines running up the fingerboard about 0.5mm wide - it will be wood composite. Probably stained. If it looks almost glassy smooth it will be something like Richlite.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

He mentioned Richlite fretboard in the video. Don't know about the body. But with this level of uke, who knows what you're really getting.
    Glenn

Well, just a couple of clarifications as I looked further on this instrument.

It turns out that it is an HPL ukulele (I thought it was "just" laminate), with a Richlite fretboard. Those specs alone skyrocket it into an entirely different class. It's confusing as Aiersi's own materials identify the material as "laminate mahogany" (which is still true, it's just HPL).

I might have some other Aiersi models on the way (purchased months ago on eBay, shipped, but have not arrived--have been refunded but may arrive someday) and I'll have to see what they are like.

I have a couple of Enya HPL models, and I will say that the Aiersi Pineapple has much better sound than Enya HPL models...although similar quality construction.

Sadly, the vendor I purchased from has raised the price of these soprano models to $50. That probably reflects the current supply status and demand of ukuleles...which is going to dip in the coming months as we all emerge from sheltering at home. So maybe the prices will go back down eventually. Either way, this one is probably worth $50, too.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information