Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aiersi Soprano Pineapple Ukulele.

The Martin HPL ukes were known for their printed wood patterns. Are these Aiersi ukes also printed, as some of the comments suggest that the surface appears like natural material? I am fond of open pore finishes so if it looked like that would be major incentive for me.

Vide Choir Guy, "It turns out that it is an HPL ukulele"

It's good to have that confirmed. I now own three ukes made from this material, and I am most impressed with the stuff. I genuinely believe this is the future of inexpensive, high volume, factory made ukes. It is thin, stiff, split and crack proof, consistent, attractively finished, and has a convincingly wooden appearance.

I called it split proof. This is based on personal experience. I bought one of these cheap ukes in order to cannibalize it for parts - for a project. It was extremely difficult to break the body apart. I used pruning shears to cut the body into pieces, and it fought me all the way. I cannot imagine an HPL uke developing cracks and splits, even under extremes of temperature and humidity. It is tough stuff.

I recommend any doubters to check one out (not with pruning shears!). This is not a "cheap and nasty" alternative to regular three-ply, laminated wood. I think it is much better.

John Colter

ps. The surface does look like a natural open pore wooden finish. It is most convincing.
    Last edited by ukantor; 06-07-2020 at 09:07 AM.

I own two Ovation guitars so am definitely not a wood snob. I find these new materials intriguing and if they are good enough to be used on Martin and Gibson instruments then they are more than there's no shame in not promoting them. My curiosity is really about how they take environmental conditions like heat, cold, or moisture. That's why I asked about the rain.

Hi Merlin, I've never done anything unusual with my HPL ukes, but one of them has lived in my car for a couple of years and is none the worse for it. My guess is that the HPL material would be impervious to water, and would fare very well indeed in normal extremes of climate. The linings and the braces are regular wooden items, of course, as are the neck and the bridge.

Many of the "budget" ukes coming out of China are made of this stuff. As you might have gathered, I'm quite enthusiastic about it. I wonder how it compares with the HPL that has been used by Martin and other high-end makers. There could be different types or grades.

John Colter

Thread Information