season 427: there's a band playing on the radio...

You're a rebel, seeing as you ended up in a gentlemen's argument. It must be that COVID-19 is getting us all bored, Anyway, nice to see that you've got lots of time to play, record and post:D

I think it all ended quite amicably, the guys from the Cosmos like a bit of banter and give as good as they get. I let John have the last word since it ended in a conciliatory note.

This song was written by Screaming Jay Hawkins who was renowned for his macabre performances. It is rumoured that during one of his creepier performances he had assistants throw rubber bands from the balcony down on to the audience below, whilst the lyrics of the song was referring to creepy crawlies... that was audience participation in the 1950's. Many other notable artists like Nina Simone, Alan Price, David Gilmour, and Brian Ferry have also recorded this song

Really, Del!!!
Haha - reminds me of a comment my chemistry teacher put on a school report when I was in my early teens: “His work is much better than his sense of humour.... fortunately!!!” :D

Some things never change! :)

Another from me - loving your theme Lynda! :)

Bit of keyboard bass and dreamy backing chords with some vocal harmonies on the chorus.

Bryan Ferry made a slow and melancholy cover of "Just One Look" (1963) by Doris Payne (Troy) and Gregory Carroll on his album "Taxi" (1993). I can't croon, but tried to compensate with a hat, a jacket and cats.

Hello, dear Seasonistas. This has been a bit of a struggle for me. At least I made it so. You see, I kind of don't get deep into Roxy Music, even though I have several of their albums. I totally love the LP "Avalon" and I think it is one of the most gorgeous records of all time. Is there a better make-out album? I kind of doubt it. Avalon rules!

That being said, I wanted to do something NOT from Avalon. In my modest collection I found (other than Avalon,).... Roxy Music (the self titled first lp,) Stranded, Country Life, and Boys and Girls (B. Ferry solo lp.)

I listened to every one with pencil and paper in-hand to note down possible songs to submit to this season (well, only side one of Boys and Girls because it was the last one and I was starting to get frustrated) but nothing was really grabbing my attention. I finally realised that what I wanted to do was to cover one of the songs off of the strange instrumental album, The Jazz Age, by The Bryan Ferry Orchestra.

Which song? Avalon. But it is done as a calypso, so I am calling it a win.

WOW! more amazing brings tonight! including :rock: wrestling cats :rock: and :bowdown: calypso. can there possibly be, anything more than this? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!!

So I thought I was done for the week - but this one has been in my head, nagging and nagging - so here it is!

Some way through I added a bit of piano and strings, and I also did the whistling bit too. Thanks for a fab theme Lynda - I’ve been like a pig in muck all week! :)

Ooh - one more thing - I noticed earlier in the week that John ‘One Man And His Uke’ was trying to curry favour with our glorious host by wearing one of her fabulous t-shirt designs. So I have too! :p (It was actually a lovely surprise gift that Lynda sent me when we co-hosted season 388 - the Yazoo week - and I keep forgetting to wear it in a vid - until now! There’s a close-up at the end of the vid - it’s amazing!) :)

"The Isle of Avalon" has long been associated with Glastonbury Tor. The entire area around it is a rich vein of standing stones, stone circles, barrows and burial mounds. It is also a rich source of legends, many associated with the Arthurian Cycle.

My Original this Week could have featured in the Twilight Zone or in the comic/magazine I used to read: "Weird Tales". It is a tale which could involve time travel, or alternative dimensions/realities.... or simply some bad orienteering :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy this novella in 6 verses in the style of Roxy Music.

Please visit:

I recorded this one first with the armadillolele, but it was so resonant it drowned out all the lyrics. So I tried again with the Kiwaya K-Wave.

Ooh - one more thing - I noticed earlier in the week that John ‘One Man And His Uke’ was trying to curry favour with our glorious host by wearing one of her fabulous t-shirt designs. So I have too! :p (It was actually a lovely surprise gift that Lynda sent me when we co-hosted season 388 - the Yazoo week - and I keep forgetting to wear it in a vid - until now! There’s a close-up at the end of the vid - it’s amazing!) :)
the tee looks fantastic!!!!!!!! and i thoroughly approve of attempts to curry favour with the host, and am indeed no stranger to that myself!!!!!

well, here we are on saturday night, an awesome evening's viewing and listening for me. i thought it would be wonderful to hear you all bring roxy music on uke, and i was not wrong! lovely lovely stuff, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

The week along I tried and searched and couldn't decide what to do ... Roxy Music wasn't accompanying me growing up, but I noticed them during their stardom and like the music a lot. First time I took Limousin Lil's kazoo for a vid. The Woodman kazoo is very nice, by the flat body and small tubing, it needs less air and is easy to hold and modulate.

Wrote this a day or so ago, inspired by CharleyB’s great take on Ladytron, who I would never have imagined taking that one on. I don’t know about you lot, but whenever a new Season is announced, I always think to myself, such and such a person will probably do this song, such and such a person will probably do that song. I imagined that our host would do an epic take on Ladytron, I even considered it myself. Anyway, as I say, inspired by CharleyB doing Ladytron, which took me back to watching Roxy Music play it on The Old Grey Whistle Test. I have always loved that clip, if you haven’t seen it, do yourselves a favour....Roxy at their glam best. So, here is my song.

Lyrics
How the hell did they get away with that?
Bacofoil suits, eye-liner and painted nails.
They look like aliens.
They look like freaks.
I’m watching Roxy playing Ladytron on Whistle Test.
Watching Roxy playing Ladytron on Whistle Test.

What kind of music is this noise that they make.
Ahead of their time in the early 1970s.
Thank god for aliens.
Thank god for freaks.
I’m watching Roxy playing Ladytron on Whistle Test
Watching Roxy playing Ladytron on Whistle Test

Just realised my original doesn’t mention Avalon in the title or lyrics. I’m sorry BEV. I’ve let you down, I’ve let my fellow Seasonistas down, but worst of all I’ve let myself down :(
Now I shall go down the garden to eat worms.

Just realised my original doesn’t mention Avalon in the title or lyrics. I’m sorry BEV. I’ve let you down, I’ve let my fellow Seasonistas down, but worst of all I’ve let myself down :(
Now I shall go down the garden to eat worms.
HOLD ON, SPARE THOSE INNOCENT WORMS! i'm pretty sure there is a typo in your song title, which should of course be, in full, "i found avalon, when watching roxy playing ladytron on whistle test"

well i think we are pretty well there now, just a little bit of time now until the season ends - so many great songs, and so many great performances! :rock:

SEASON WRAP

well, that was a great season! huge thanks to everyone who brought all these wonderful songs that i love so much, on uke for me. i loved everything - every song and vid was a wonderful treat and a wonderful gift. so thank you all! and hats off to everyone who dressed up, and everyone who educated me with a whole bunch of info and songs i didn't know before this week! from perfect instrumental to inspired originals, via calypso, cat wrestling, and lots of emotion. thanks so much to everyone, with some extra-special shout outs to...

charley B, looking extremely smart and sharp, with a stunning and very smooth cover of "ladytron"

bob j king and "dance away" - that cover gave me shivers! absolutely wonderful!

del for bringing the most wonderfully dreamy performances, solo and with kevin, all the fantastic sounds and moods and vibe of roxy and bryan were captured in uke and synth and voice.

gina for a wonderful cover of "love is the drug", with a fantastic video to go with it. despite not being super familiar with roxy music, she absolutely brought a brilliant performance of this classic roxy song.

and the winner for the week is big daddy uker, who brought two outstanding covers, "more than this" and "loop di li". for someone who didn't know roxy music or bryan ferry before, he leapt right into all this new-to-him music and really moved me. a wonderful and perfect illustration of the weekly journeys of musical discovery, that the seasons are. please send me your address, BDU, so i can send you the little prize for this week.

THANK YOU ALL! :music: :rock:

Thanks so much for a fabulous week, Lynda - hard to remember a season I’ve enjoyed more than this! ;) After your considerable hosting efforts you really deserve to av-a-lon(g) rest! :rolleyes:

Thanks also for the shout out and for a wonderfully concise and timely wrap! Big congrats to our very worthy winner, Mr BDU - thoroughly deserved, so I’m not a jealous guy at all! :D

Stay safe everyone! :)

Thanks so much for a fabulous week, Lynda - hard to remember a season I’ve enjoyed more than this! ;) After your considerable hosting efforts you really deserve to av-a-lon(g) rest! :rolleyes:

Thanks also for the shout out and for a wonderfully concise and timely wrap! Big congrats to our very worthy winner, Mr BDU - thoroughly deserved, so I’m not a jealous guy at all! :D

Stay safe everyone! :)
Good grief Del, it’s all about you isn’t it? Frankly I’d be happy if you put your inflated Eno to one side for a moment and quit the awful puns for a Ferry long time!

Top Bottom