season 427: there's a band playing on the radio...

I checked the wiki page for Avalon.

So, a mythical keltic Island, with good apples, ruled byvthe god of the underworld and home to some gods and stuff.
In the legend King Arthurs sword was forged in Avalon, and his remains was bought there after his death.

Does anybody have links to more comprehensive sources on mythical Avalon?
In case I choose to write something I like to know if it was considered a paradise or something.

Thanks for that, Mikkel ... you saved me having to Google it!

So, a mythical keltic Island, with good apples, ruled byvthe god of the underworld and home to some gods and stuff.
In the legend King Arthurs sword was forged in Avalon, and his remains was bought there after his death.

In case I choose to write something I like to know if it was considered a paradise or something.

Avalon is closely linked to the Arthurian Legends so that is worth checking out. Marion Zimmer Bradley's novel "The Mists of Avalon" is a different take on the legend of King Arthur. King Arthur himself is supposedly based on a semi mythical British Chieftain of the the post Roman era in England during a time when the Native British Peoples were supposedly being pushed westward, though modern historical analysis suggest that events during the centuries after the end of the Roman Empire in Britain were somewhat more complex.

OH WOW what an amazing start to the season!!!!!! we're off to a flying start and it's only the beginning of day one! i've actually only had time to watch and comment on a few of the vids so far! will catch up asap on the rest, can't wait to listen! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, and hats off to everyone who doesn't know roxy music from a hole in the ground, but are leaping into this new music with such enthusiasm!

I have no clue who Roxy Music is....I gave it a go!!!!

Disclaimer - Post 1 hour and 15 minutes early. I should be disqualified.

https://youtu.be/L5MHKuJy3Sw

no one is gonna be disqualified for being keen, or doing such an amazing job of covering a band they never heard of before! i really hope you'll bring more songs this week, that was so lovely!

i really love tennyson's poems, and he wrote alot about arthur and avalon. it's all dashing knights and lovely ladies and clanking armour and bold deeds and wotnot. also check out pre-raphealite art, which i also love, lots of pictures of arthurian characters and stories.

or of course do what roxy music did, write about any old thing you fancy, and bung the word "avalon" at the top! this is their song...!

Now the party's over
I'm so tired
Then I see you coming
Out of nowhere
Much communication in a motion
Without conversation or a notion
Avalon
When the samba takes you
Out of nowhere
And the background's fading
Out of focus
Yes the picture changing
Every moment
And your destination
You don't know it
Avalon
When you bossa nova
There's no holding
Would you have me dancing
Out of nowhere
Avalon

not a bold knight in sight! outrageous!

This is a song which always takes me right back to a time & a place - my flat in Leeds, summer 1979, windows open, children playing at the school across the way, trying to get on with some university work, but probably just listening to the radio instead...

A Brian Ferry song recorded in1973.Asbury concert Au80 tuned in Bb to accomidate by vocal range

OH WOW what an amazing start to the season!!!!!! we're off to a flying start and it's only the beginning of day one! i've actually only had time to watch and comment on a few of the vids so far! will catch up asap on the rest, can't wait to listen! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, and hats off to everyone who doesn't know roxy music from a hole in the ground, but are leaping into this new music with such enthusiasm!

no one is gonna be disqualified for being keen, or doing such an amazing job of covering a band they never heard of before! i really hope you'll bring more songs this week, that was so lovely!

i really love tennyson's poems, and he wrote alot about arthur and avalon. it's all dashing knights and lovely ladies and clanking armour and bold deeds and wotnot. also check out pre-raphealite art, which i also love, lots of pictures of arthurian characters and stories.

or of course do what roxy music did, write about any old thing you fancy, and bung the word "avalon" at the top! this is their song...!

Now the party's over
I'm so tired
Then I see you coming
Out of nowhere
Avalon
When the samba takes you
Out of nowhere
Out of focus
Yes the picture changing
Every moment
And your destination
You don't know it
Avalon
When you bossa nova
There's no holding
Out of nowhere
Avalon

If Avalon is a mystery wonderland og ripe apples and godesses etc, not unlike shangri la or xanadu, it might apply very well - knights or not. He feels like he is in a mythical wonderland when he looses himself to music and dance.
That is why I try to grasp Avalon, the wiki page suggests that there are no knights there, only gods. But knights would also be awesome for a song.
Anyway, I will probably go for a cover in the end.

Now the party's over
I'm so tired
Then I see you coming
Out of nowhere
Avalon
When the samba takes you
Out of nowhere
Out of focus
Yes the picture changing
Every moment
And your destination
You don't know it
Avalon
When you bossa nova
There's no holding
Out of nowhere
Avalon

Ah,the Marc Bolan Academy of Lyric and Verse.
:rofl:

Just for a change (so it seems) here is a Roxy Music original. A song that always fascinated me for some reason. It has a kind of sleaziness that somehow suits the persona Bryan Ferry projects on stage.

Now the party's over
I'm so tired
Then I see you coming
Out of nowhere
Avalon
When the samba takes you
Out of nowhere
Out of focus
Yes the picture changing
Every moment
And your destination
You don't know it
Avalon
When you bossa nova
There's no holding
Out of nowhere
Avalon

The part of Newfoundland that's most populated is the Avalon Peninsula. Maybe Ferry just met a girl in a club in St. John's.

Avalon. Avalon, you say. I knew a girl from Avalon once. Here's my song to her with major help collabing with Jon Duncan.

To change the original up, I played this song with a rhythm of chiming ukulele.

well, i'm all up to date on the playlist, and thoroughly enjoying all these wonderful brings of so many fave songs of mine, plus a wonderful original! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, i hope you keep them coming, because for a roxy music fan, this season is a delight!

This theme is right up my street - thanks so much Lynda!

This one sprang into my head this morning when I was supposed to be working on something else, so I seized the moment! I love everything about the Avalon album, and this is one of my fave tracks. I planned to keep it pretty simple - the vid (with the main vocal line) was my first take - but then couldn’t resist adding in some vocal harmonies from the first chorus onwards. :)

Ahoy.
Looking forwards to learning new songs this week - I know neither Roxy Music nor Brian Ferry (I think)

I posted on the reddit page about the season with a message saying the following "**link to current season: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...son-427-there-s-a-band-playing-on-the-radio**
The theme is 'Roxy Music' and our host asks that submissions will be made to the UU forums (link above)
p.s.
You can also do solo songs by Brian Ferry or compose songs that include the word 'Avalon'"

If there are any submissions made there and not here then I will try and 'forward' the links to here

Kveðja
Loftur

Top Bottom