season 427: there's a band playing on the radio...

Ahoy.
Looking forwards to learning new songs this week - I know neither Roxy Music nor Brian Ferry (I think)

I posted on the reddit page about the season with a message saying the following "**link to current season: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...son-427-there-s-a-band-playing-on-the-radio**
The theme is 'Roxy Music' and our host asks that submissions will be made to the UU forums (link above)
p.s.
You can also do solo songs by Brian Ferry or compose songs that include the word 'Avalon'"

If there are any submissions made there and not here then I will try and 'forward' the links to here

Kveðja
Loftur
ah that is super, thank you loftur, so very kind of you! i really appreciate it! and i really hope you enjoy discovering songs for this week - i'm not biased or anything :rolleyes: but i really do think there are lots of gems to be found!!

and wow what a wonderful evening's viewing and listening for me tonight! at least one song that sent shivers down my spine, and a totally-new-to-me bryan song - so i guess i'm also discovering new music this week! THANK YOU ALL! :rock:

Hello again, Lynda! I'm still working my way up to attempting a Roxy Music song, but, meanwhile .... LET'S PARTY!!! I discovered that Bryan Ferry had inexplicably covered this song ... the male version (which, presumably, doesn't mention losing his "johnny!") Confusingly, and for purposes of credibility, I have stuck with the original, female version. WARNING: This is a cacophony of noise ... especially at the beginning!

Last edited:
An original noodle on tenor uke, no words, just a little birdsong at the end.

Roxy Music’s first single from the wonderful Avalon album, this one reached number 6 in the UK charts in 1982. I couldn’t resist adding some keyboards and rhythm here. Well, what do you expect.... more than this? ;)

A cover of a cover on new "uke". I don't have a baritone. But I thought , hang on a half size classical guitar, (there's about an inch or two difference in the scale length) some judicious string wrangling and bingo I can have a 6 string bari in standard tuning cos I do love me bass strings. I got rid of the piffling little guilelelelelleelelle last year to a very nice man....who also bought my Kala banjolele...and I much prefer this to the both of them and it only landed this arvo. All for £ 34.99.....cheap as chips...and if I like it I may get another.

Greetings,

A stripped version of “Love is The Drug”. Sparse but no way to duplicate that sound. (Well, I couldn’t so I left it plain and simple). I do remember this song. It must have hit our charts.

:)

Ciao

Last edited:
WOW. the awesomeness continues! more wonderful songs, and performances to match! thank you all so much for continuing to bring the very lovely combination of roxy music + uke! :music: :worship: :cheers:

Good night Irene was covered by Mr Ferry and true to the Leadbelly tradition he did it as a waltz. I have taken some liberties and done it in 4/4 time and instead of major chords used 7th with various voicings.

And, from Roxy Music's debut album, Bryan Ferry's hymn of praise to Humphrey Bogart, centred around the story of "Casablanca". This should have involved a saxophone solo ... but since I haven't even got to Grade One in saxophone, I am afraid it is missing! Still, it was fun making the video!

Good night Irene was covered by Mr Ferry and true to the Leadbelly tradition he did it as a waltz. I have taken some liberties and done it in 4/4 time and instead of major chords used 7th with various voicings.

You're a rebel, seeing as you ended up in a gentlemen's argument. It must be that COVID-19 is getting us all bored, Anyway, nice to see that you've got lots of time to play, record and post:D

First of all, thanks for hosting Lynda! I have to admit that while i'd heard of Roxy Music, it was primarily due to my interest in and research of Brian Eno! I haven't heard any songs i really recognized except of course for the large canon of covers they/he have done :) So it's been a great week of discovery so far!

i've managed to keep myself surprisingly busy with online teaching and zoom experimentation. As such, i'm really late joining the party this week. But, i'm just happy to be able to do so, and hoping to get another one in that i'm working on.

When Lynda posted her teaser video on Seasonal Anticipation thread, I guessed maybe it was bands who'd played at the Roxy in England. So I reached out to Del and suggested this week might be in his wheelhouse. He got her message more clearly than I did, and guessed it may be exactly what it turned out to be. So he suggested we do this Brian Ferry song "Slave to Love" I'd never heard it, but was keen on giving it a go! So here is our version. I'd just like to say, that although I view a lot of the the songs I participate in on the Seasons as sketches, mainly due to the tight time frame of a week. This is one of those rare songs, I'd love to have taken our time on. It's a deceptively profound production. Every time I listen to it, I find new nuggets I hadn't noticed before.

Thanks again for the week Lynda, and for the chance to do something bigger than I can do on my own Del ~

roxy music + uke = roxy m-uke-ic :rolleyes:

I’ll get me coat!
:agree:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!!!

First of all, thanks for hosting Lynda! I have to admit that while i'd heard of Roxy Music, it was primarily due to my interest in and research of Brian Eno! I haven't heard any songs i really recognized except of course for the large canon of covers they/he have done :) So it's been a great week of discovery so far!

i've managed to keep myself surprisingly busy with online teaching and zoom experimentation. As such, i'm really late joining the party this week. But, i'm just happy to be able to do so, and hoping to get another one in that i'm working on.

When Lynda posted her teaser video on Seasonal Anticipation thread, I guessed maybe it was bands who'd played at the Roxy in England. So I reached out to Del and suggested this week might be in his wheelhouse. He got her message more clearly than I did, and guessed it may be exactly what it turned out to be. So he suggested we do this Brian Ferry song "Slave to Love" I'd never heard it, but was keen on giving it a go! So here is our version. I'd just like to say, that although I view a lot of the the songs I participate in on the Seasons as sketches, mainly due to the tight time frame of a week. This is one of those rare songs, I'd love to have taken our time on. It's a deceptively profound production. Every time I listen to it, I find new nuggets I hadn't noticed before.

Thanks again for the week Lynda, and for the chance to do something bigger than I can do on my own Del ~

WOW, what a bring, guys!

another wonderful evening of listening for me! thank you all so much for all the great songs and performances!!! and some super effort on the visuals too for so many of the vids, everything is very much appreciated!

will anybody be blowing kisses and waving at me?

Well, I am unfamiliar with Roxie Music, but I did think of John Hurt's Avalon's My Home Town and this one from the twenties. I posted a video of Louis Armstrong singing it, but decided that since I was housebound, maybe I should try to learn it. Sorry if I'm a bit shakey, but this is my first Seasonista post.

Last edited:
Well, I am unfamiliar with Roxie Music, but I did think of John Hurt's Avalon's My Home Town and this one from the twenties. I posted a video of Louis Armstrong singing it, but decided that since I was housebound, maybe I should try to learn it. Sorry if I'm a bit shakey, but this is my first Seasonista post.

hello! the "avalon" song option was only for original songs, written for the season, or of course for covers of the roxy music song "avalon" - not for covers of any other songs of that title. HOWEVER - i'm gonna let this one in as a special bonus entry for the week! great performance! (that post on the thread, of the mississippi john hurt song, was just someone posting a video of mississippi john hurt singing it, for purely chit chat reasons!) i'm putting your vid on the playlist, so you're officially a seasonista now! i'd love it if you could bring the roxy music song! the seasons are a great opportunity to leap into totally new kinds of music/songs and give them a go on uke! ultimate guitar website has chord sheets for lots of roxy music songs, i really hope you'll find one you fancy bringing to the season!

Top Bottom