Great luthiers?

This is just so not needed. We get it, you don't like the guy, move on with your life.
Moving on.. the life skill @counter is yet to encounter and absorb.. a uke player(?) filled with grudges.. eager to piss on other’s hard work spanning a lifetime... oh why! Oh why! Find a uke you like and learn a few songs.. May I recommend “let it go” from Frozen.. even kids get that one right..

It is interesting to see how some people get eaten up, by what is essentially trivia. Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Moving on.. the life skill @counter is yet to encounter and absorb.. a uke player(?) filled with grudges.. eager to piss on other’s hard work spanning a lifetime... oh why! Oh why! Find a uke you like and learn a few songs.. May I recommend “let it go” from Frozen.. even kids get that one right..

I'm beginning to think you don't like me Ritesh! :D

I hardly know you.. I just don’t like a few of your messages..

Ah ok, that's good then. Tell you what, for the sake of our blossoming friendship I will bow out of this thread and get on with my bank holiday weekend. I think the OP has probably gleaned everything they can now about recommended/not recommended luthiers and makers in Western Europe :)

I sent my deposit to Liam of Wunderkammer earlier this week. The first time I approached him was in 2018 when his ukes were £450 and his waiting list six months. They’ve now gone up to £600 and the waiting list is a year, so I decided to get my name down as quickly as possible. Serves me right for not jumping on it the first time!

I’m very excited though, I’m fascinated by his build process. Also, he has a new old-school model out modelled after the Kumalae soprano that simply looks amazing. Christopher Davis-Shannon reviewed his in this video.

Totally fascinating the way this thread got hi-jacked. I'm sick at the moment, so having some time did a vanity search and read this entire thread.

I found reference to a quality concern because of rusty tuners on one of my ukulele which led to speculation that though bearing my name, the ukulele was built by one of my students. Not sure about the logic here. Anyway, I build all the instruments that bear my name. In recent years I have used skilled craftsman to assist me in the build, as did Mya Moe, as does Rick Turner and other builders. They bear my name because I pay them to work under my direction, to my quality standard on aspects of the build.

For instance - I cannot hand sand any more. My assistants do that. I can still carve so I do the neck. All of the components are made by me but may be final finished by my assistants. I cannot manipulate my hand to do the complex operation of gluing on a bridge - my assistants do that. I spray finish and set up all instruments, make the decision about wood combinations, book-matching, grain orientation and all design modifications and decisions are made by me. Just FYI - you can use this for future reference.

However, students on my course build their own ukulele and sign their name in it. Some have asked me to make a label that says'Made in the workshop of Pete Howlett' which I have declined to do. It's their work and they should own it.

And yes, I love batch production - of parts. And I like making limited editions (limited run special) which I do almost entirely myself.

I hope this deals with the 'side bar' in this thread.

As for Juha Lottonen. I have met him twice in Finland and have toured his workshop and exchanged wood samples. He is a gifted luthier (he went to luthier school) and is a very 'clean' and meticulous builder. In my opinion, if you live in Scandinavia, he is your go to full-time builder. Sven in Sweden builds part time, contributes here and also builds great ukulele.

Last edited:
As for Juha Lottonen. I have met him twice in Finland and have toured his workshop and exchanged wood samples. He is a gifted luthier (he went to luthier school) and is a very 'clean' and meticulous builder. In my opinion, if you live in Scandinavia, he is your go to full-time builder. Sven in Sweden builds part time, contributes here and also builds great ukulele.

I can attest to that. The job Juha has done for a few of my ukes that needed repairing and the one I commissioned from him is excellent. And he's a great person to work with as well. I love chatting with him whenever I visit. Not sure if he's as talkative in English though. :D

Thanks CPG for Peter Hurney shout. I learned something very useful from the excellent video biography on the home page.

Thanks CPG for Peter Hurney shout. I learned something very useful from the excellent video biography on the home page.

Happy to give him shoutouts at any opportunity. I ran across his work for the first time about a year and a half ago when someone posted one of his ukes for sale on the forum. I immeadiatly fell in love. Then when I was shopping for a new soprano this fall, I saw he had posted a lovely mahogany soprano for sale on his site for a exceptional price. I grabbed it immeadiatly. I have been enamored with it from the moment I got it. The longer I have it and the more ukes I play it side by side with the more I love it. It is rare that something I have drooled over for a while fully lives up to my imagined, typically unrealistic, expectations, but this soprano is everything I hoped for and more. He makes a lot of very unique stuff and I love looking through his gallery. What I love in particular about his sopranos is that, for me, they are a perfect marriage of the classic Martin design and tone combined with an original, creative appearance and some nice modern features (e.g. tuners).

I'm sure someone mentioned Manny Halican. Except for 2020 we spend 5-7 weeks in Hawaii every year visiting family. Numerous friends have mentioned Manny as on of the best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom