Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: Great luthiers?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UkeComa View Post
    Thanks to the thread for exposing me to Jazzbox, great looking/sounding instrument. Didn't even know I was looking, but now I'm putting together an order!
    Hopefully it will be almost as quick as this -

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-oeIH_ZS8w
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany, near Frankfurt/M.
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    The f holes make it sound quieter but really gives off a jazz sound. Sounds clean when plugged in.
    Patrick, (that's my first name, too, by the way...), I happen to own a f-style Chennell concert Uke, it's on his website in the "Emporium" section, and it's called "Henk". Apparently, it went through a couple of hands before landing at my door. And I don't get the reason for that. It's simply brilliant: it is, indeed, on of the loudest ukes I have, including a couple of Bruekos, Koalohas and a Dupont. It's really a canon, with its cedar top and mahogany body. It's already a few years old, and apparently, Toby changed a few things about his instruments. I'm yet to find out what these are, but I may write again here in a couple of months. As things in many parts of the world go a little slower these days, with all this lockdowns going on.
    So there is no reason to assume, a Uke with a arch top and the f-shaped holes is less loud than a regular one.

    Oh, by the way, although it seems that the original intention of this thread has been fulfilled: Maurice Dupont from France builds wonderful jazz-style ukes, too, in case you're interested in a manouche-style Uke: http://www.acoustic-guitars.com/mand...i-ukuleles.php

    If that's the case, I could recommend the entry level model, the all-mahogany body with a concert neck: that instrument has the potential to kill your UAS. Well, mostly...
    I honestly don't know if he really builds them himself, of one of his students. And honestly, as long as it is a well-built instrument worth its price, I don't care. After all, its the same knowledge behind the work, and if the luthier is a good teacher, too, why shouldn't the instruments be just as good?
    Last edited by frolicks; 05-03-2020 at 12:05 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Kekaha, Kauai
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Please keep in mind that arch top instruments are very different beasts from flat top ones in how they are constructed, how they work and how they sound. A properly built arch top ukulele should be initially louder than a flat top equivalent, but with less sustain. The arch top guitar replaced the banjo in the big band era because it could be heard through the horn section. They almost died out when guitars were electrified some years later, but were discovered by jazz musicians because of their initial loudness and lack of sustain, which lends itself to jazz music, hence the name jazz guitar. And by the way, adding f holes to an instrument is fairly meaningless in terms of construction, great arch top instruments can have oval or round sound holes.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    Please keep in mind that arch top instruments are very different beasts from flat top ones in how they are constructed, how they work and how they sound. A properly built arch top ukulele should be initially louder than a flat top equivalent, but with less sustain. The arch top guitar replaced the banjo in the big band era because it could be heard through the horn section. They almost died out when guitars were electrified some years later, but were discovered by jazz musicians because of their initial loudness and lack of sustain, which lends itself to jazz music, hence the name jazz guitar. And by the way, adding f holes to an instrument is fairly meaningless in terms of construction, great arch top instruments can have oval or round sound holes.
    Brad
    Hey, thanks for posting this Brad. I always wondered why they were called Jazz Guitars.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

    óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,307

    Default

    Interesting analysis of me. I don't think I have ever 'bigged up' my work, prompted it here or sought for clients here through sharing my ideas. I rarely post my latest builds unless I think there may be an interest in it. If I have ever posted something it is for information purposes and if I have erroneously promoted my work in this forum have accepted that it either be removed or put into the correct forum.

    I am stating a fact that Zach does not build - he is a designer with a monumental wealth of experience and data regarding musical instrument making - I know him personally, he's a friend, I have met with him to discuss building and design techniques and invited him to participate in the makers festival my wife runs here in Wales. He commands my respect and is a great influence. I am however allowed to 'fact check' and put the facts right in regard to anything posted here which is wrong and I know is wrong.

    If you feel the need to attack me and my practice then go ahead; I respect your right to do so. However if you are wrong, I will say so.

    So I will state:
    I do not promote and never have promoted my work here. If I point you to my FaceBook page it is because I think you may find what I have to say interesting. I don't demand you visit or like. If you visit and don't find it interesting then great. I'm not going to call you out or get upset. Afford me the same respect if you will.
    I work in a way which suits me and am outspoken but I have never criticised a fellow builder and if I have inadvertently done so, I have attempted to make it right.
    And not to labour the point but to giver you some context: I created a festival to promote the work of my peers and up coming builders. At that festival I do not exhibit my work. The festival does not bear my name or any reference to me or my practice. I am a sponsor and unpaid participant. My wife runs it. All the income from the festival is invested in those who exhibit, perform and lecture. It is done 'not for profit'. I make a single annual posting with maybe one or two reminders of the event on UU and on one other forum. This year because of COVID-19 we have rescheduled our festival for November, are now making advanced part payments to all contracted participants... this is who I am. I support positively and put my money where my mouth is.

    I have opinions. They are formed from over 40 years experience. I am constantly learning and I share that learning nearly 5 days a week, live streaming on FaceBook. If I think something is wrong or inaccurate I will say so. I am not a builder who will make 'your' design. I do not use this forum to 'blow my own trumpet' or promote my work. I respect your views. I reject 'personal' criticism from people who do not know me. I defend your right to say anything you wish but deplore personal attacks, unfounded criticism of me and especially 'fake facts' garnered from what someone else has said. They used to call this hearsay or gossip.

    I enjoy this place for its diversity. I love that. What I take issue with is 'personal' attacks and inaccurate comments. I'll take the flack, the criticism and everything you may wish to throw at me. I will not however be misrepresented. You don't like me, fine. You don't like what I say fine. You have an opinion, great. Allow me to have mine and defend it where I think it right to do so.

    And finally - I have never called myself a luthier. The term 'Luthier', as I understand it, is not a description but a title. Titles are earned through apprenticeships or upon completion of an accredited course. Most of these apprenticeships and accredited courses are found in Europe which has a tradition of such. Where I stand is that I trained as a teacher in Craft Design and Technology. After a three year course where I gained my teaching certificate I majored for my 4th year in musical instrument technology producing for my dissertation a history of classic guitar construction, prepared a mechanical sciences research paper on the stress model of a classical guitar front, prepared and presented a seminar paper on Mesopotamian gold work, a dissertation on T S Eliot's 4 Quartets and the works of Harold Pinter and William Faulkner, and began my career building my first guitars in 1976. Although I would like to be a 'luthier' and have that title I am more correctly described an artisan maker, self taught. That I am sometimes referred to by others as a 'master craftsman' is their call not mine: when I say that I am it is because they have said it, not me.

    So take me or leave me. I've been too long in the game to know that in this big pool we are all minnows trying to avoid the sharks.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    349

    Default

    I, for one, appreciate the post above. It seems to me that things got unnecessarily ugly a few pages back. I think it's ok to comment on the work of any builder and of course for the builder to respond to those comments, but I would tread very carefully when talking about other people, builders or otherwise, especially when you probably don't know them personally. The few posts that I wrote in this thread certainly weren't meant as any personal critique, just some observations and, stupidly, assumptions. I would welcome anyone to correct me if I write anything untrue. I also really appreciate any builder, especially more well-known ones, posting on this forum. Not that many do.

    I did mention that you, Pete, worked with Juha Lottonen in the past and you said you didn't. That was my bad. I'm guessing you've met him on some convention or something like that because he has mentioned your name when I've talked with him. He's quite the storyteller (not implying that he tells lies, just that he tells a lot of stories ) so I simply fail to remember accurately everything he's told me during our conversations. It wasn't my intention to lie about that so I do apologise.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,381

    Default

    One has to wonder, how much customer input did Stradivarius tolerate when he was taking commissions. Perhaps the world is better off because he stood his ground.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    How did this become the Pete Howlett thread? I think that Pete just doesn't suffer fools well, and I can relate to that.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

    I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    And finally - I have never called myself a luthier. The term 'Luthier', as I understand it, is not a description but a title.
    Hate to be picky but from your very own facebook page written presumably by yourself -

    'Please keep the content of your post relevant to this site - refrain from posting the work of other luthiers, videos of you playing other luthiers' instruments'

    Should that not be 'other ukulele makers'?
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    Hate to be picky but from your very own facebook page written presumably by yourself -

    'Please keep the content of your post relevant to this site - refrain from posting the work of other luthiers, videos of you playing other luthiers' instruments'

    Should that not be 'other ukulele makers'?
    This is just so not needed. We get it, you don't like the guy, move on with your life.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

    dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •