Great luthiers?

Zach does not build the instruments that carry his name. I don't want to tell you what I know but if I did, it would really surprise you....

I build primarily my Revelator design. I have options but these are decided by me. You see it, you like it, you buy it. I really have no energy left to answer the snow cloud of emails that comes with 'working' with a customer. Gordon, when he ran Mya Moe was answering at least 100 emails per instrument...

Owners of my instruments, if they want a conventional style are likely to get what they ask for. I value loyalty and I have many loyal customers who have supported my work over the last 26 years.

And yes, you should use your real name - the Internet has grown up now...

And yes, have an opinion but don't guess what my opinion is. If you want to quote me or anyone else for that matter, find out from the source (in this case me) what I am doing.

FYI: I am currently working on a 'secret' project which I said I would never do so the landscape of my days is always changing, like my opinion for instance on sound/side ports...

Zach does not build the instruments that carry his name. I don't want to tell you what I know but if I did, it would really surprise you....

I build primarily my Revelator design. I have options but these are decided by me. You see it, you like it, you buy it. I really have no energy left to answer the snow cloud of emails that comes with 'working' with a customer. Gordon, when he ran Mya Moe was answering at least 100 emails per instrument...

Owners of my instruments, if they want a conventional style are likely to get what they ask for. I value loyalty and I have many loyal customers who have supported my work over the last 26 years.

And yes, you should use your real name - the Internet has grown up now...

And yes, have an opinion but don't guess what my opinion is. If you want to quote me or anyone else for that matter, find out from the source (in this case me) what I am doing.

FYI: I am currently working on a 'secret' project which I said I would never do so the landscape of my days is always changing, like my opinion for instance on sound/side ports...

Yes, your opinion is always changing, although your attitude has always remained somewhat static and tends to be "I am always right until I change my mind'. I have first hand experience of being your 'customer' and I chose to move on and am entitled to therefore support other luthiers. I think I'm not alone there, reading your many comments on the forum about building techniques, social media platforms and various other things I have seen the way you come across and I choose not to support that kind of way of being. You frequently belittle other people, including builders (as highlighted above) and manufacturers i.e your tirade about living water strings which was quite disgusting. I think having an ego can over shadow talent, and being frankly rude to anyone who dares ask a question is a poor attitude.

And again, I reserve the right to not advertise my real name on this forum, like 90% of its users. Get over it.
And if your loyal fan base is so great, why comment on a thread like this? And why post go fund me projects where you ask for money for accommodation that you then use to outsource your work?

Last edited:

Classy! Funny though as one of the most asked questions when selling on a Howlett (I mentioned earlier that I have have briefly owned two) is 'did he build it or did one of his students?'. Nobody knows because they are all marked 'Howlett'. I suspect one of mine had been made by a student though as it had rusty tuners.

I think Mr Howlett's famous arrogance and self aggrandizement have been perfectly illustrated in just a couple of posts. Like many who were once briefly interested, I no longer have any desire to know what this self proclaimed 'master' luthier is doing.

I no longer have any desire to know what this self proclaimed 'master' luthier is doing.
But you still make it a point to rant :-D
I have no clue about Pete or Zach but I find counter to be an resentful unhappy soul who has not really found the ukulele soul/aloha spirit.. I cannot imagine some one who plays the uke and comes across in forums as he does.. I wonder does he play his uke at all?

But you still make it a point to rant :-D
I have no clue about Pete or Zach but I find counter to be an resentful unhappy soul who has not really found the ukulele soul/aloha spirit.. I cannot imagine some one who plays the uke and comes across in forums as he does.. I wonder does he play his uke at all?

Hey, it is perfectly possible to play resentful, unhappy tunes on a ukulele kerneltime :D

If Pete Howlett is now producing a standardized type of instrument on the basis that "You see it, you like it, you buy it". Then I would expect no difficulties in dealing with Pete.

John Colter

If Pete Howlett is now producing a standardized type of instrument on the basis that "You see it, you like it, you buy it". Then I would expect no difficulties in dealing with Pete.

John Colter

But then, going back to the original post (and by the way, apologies to the original poster for how this thread seems to have wavered off topic) surely it falls into the "batch" category (albeit small scale) and is not custom?

"But then, going back to the original post (and by the way, apologies to the original poster for how this thread seems to have wavered off topic) surely it falls into the "batch" category (albeit small scale) and is not custom?"

I agree entirely. Pete Howlett is not a great luthier for custom ukuleles. Which is why I wrote, "If Pete Howlett is now producing a standardized type of instrument on the basis that "You see it, you like it, you buy it". Then I would expect no difficulties in dealing with Pete."

John Colter

If looking for an archtop jazz type uke, there's Toby Chennell of Jazzbox Ukes. I had a baritone and bass made by him. Both wonderful instruments.
Thanks to the thread for exposing me to Jazzbox, great looking/sounding instrument. Didn't even know I was looking, but now I'm putting together an order!

The f holes make it sound quieter but really gives off a jazz sound. Sounds clean when plugged in.

Patrick, (that's my first name, too, by the way...), I happen to own a f-style Chennell concert Uke, it's on his website in the "Emporium" section, and it's called "Henk". Apparently, it went through a couple of hands before landing at my door. And I don't get the reason for that. It's simply brilliant: it is, indeed, on of the loudest ukes I have, including a couple of Bruekos, Koalohas and a Dupont. It's really a canon, with its cedar top and mahogany body. It's already a few years old, and apparently, Toby changed a few things about his instruments. I'm yet to find out what these are, but I may write again here in a couple of months. As things in many parts of the world go a little slower these days, with all this lockdowns going on.
So there is no reason to assume, a Uke with a arch top and the f-shaped holes is less loud than a regular one.

Oh, by the way, although it seems that the original intention of this thread has been fulfilled: Maurice Dupont from France builds wonderful jazz-style ukes, too, in case you're interested in a manouche-style Uke: http://www.acoustic-guitars.com/mandolines-bouzouki-ukuleles.php

If that's the case, I could recommend the entry level model, the all-mahogany body with a concert neck: that instrument has the potential to kill your UAS. Well, mostly...
I honestly don't know if he really builds them himself, of one of his students. And honestly, as long as it is a well-built instrument worth its price, I don't care. After all, its the same knowledge behind the work, and if the luthier is a good teacher, too, why shouldn't the instruments be just as good?

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that arch top instruments are very different beasts from flat top ones in how they are constructed, how they work and how they sound. A properly built arch top ukulele should be initially louder than a flat top equivalent, but with less sustain. The arch top guitar replaced the banjo in the big band era because it could be heard through the horn section. They almost died out when guitars were electrified some years later, but were discovered by jazz musicians because of their initial loudness and lack of sustain, which lends itself to jazz music, hence the name jazz guitar. And by the way, adding f holes to an instrument is fairly meaningless in terms of construction, great arch top instruments can have oval or round sound holes.
Brad

Please keep in mind that arch top instruments are very different beasts from flat top ones in how they are constructed, how they work and how they sound. A properly built arch top ukulele should be initially louder than a flat top equivalent, but with less sustain. The arch top guitar replaced the banjo in the big band era because it could be heard through the horn section. They almost died out when guitars were electrified some years later, but were discovered by jazz musicians because of their initial loudness and lack of sustain, which lends itself to jazz music, hence the name jazz guitar. And by the way, adding f holes to an instrument is fairly meaningless in terms of construction, great arch top instruments can have oval or round sound holes.
Brad

Hey, thanks for posting this Brad. I always wondered why they were called Jazz Guitars.

Interesting analysis of me. I don't think I have ever 'bigged up' my work, prompted it here or sought for clients here through sharing my ideas. I rarely post my latest builds unless I think there may be an interest in it. If I have ever posted something it is for information purposes and if I have erroneously promoted my work in this forum have accepted that it either be removed or put into the correct forum.

I am stating a fact that Zach does not build - he is a designer with a monumental wealth of experience and data regarding musical instrument making - I know him personally, he's a friend, I have met with him to discuss building and design techniques and invited him to participate in the makers festival my wife runs here in Wales. He commands my respect and is a great influence. I am however allowed to 'fact check' and put the facts right in regard to anything posted here which is wrong and I know is wrong.

If you feel the need to attack me and my practice then go ahead; I respect your right to do so. However if you are wrong, I will say so.

So I will state:
I do not promote and never have promoted my work here. If I point you to my FaceBook page it is because I think you may find what I have to say interesting. I don't demand you visit or like. If you visit and don't find it interesting then great. I'm not going to call you out or get upset. Afford me the same respect if you will.
I work in a way which suits me and am outspoken but I have never criticised a fellow builder and if I have inadvertently done so, I have attempted to make it right.
And not to labour the point but to giver you some context: I created a festival to promote the work of my peers and up coming builders. At that festival I do not exhibit my work. The festival does not bear my name or any reference to me or my practice. I am a sponsor and unpaid participant. My wife runs it. All the income from the festival is invested in those who exhibit, perform and lecture. It is done 'not for profit'. I make a single annual posting with maybe one or two reminders of the event on UU and on one other forum. This year because of COVID-19 we have rescheduled our festival for November, are now making advanced part payments to all contracted participants... this is who I am. I support positively and put my money where my mouth is.

I have opinions. They are formed from over 40 years experience. I am constantly learning and I share that learning nearly 5 days a week, live streaming on FaceBook. If I think something is wrong or inaccurate I will say so. I am not a builder who will make 'your' design. I do not use this forum to 'blow my own trumpet' or promote my work. I respect your views. I reject 'personal' criticism from people who do not know me. I defend your right to say anything you wish but deplore personal attacks, unfounded criticism of me and especially 'fake facts' garnered from what someone else has said. They used to call this hearsay or gossip.

I enjoy this place for its diversity. I love that. What I take issue with is 'personal' attacks and inaccurate comments. I'll take the flack, the criticism and everything you may wish to throw at me. I will not however be misrepresented. You don't like me, fine. You don't like what I say fine. You have an opinion, great. Allow me to have mine and defend it where I think it right to do so.

And finally - I have never called myself a luthier. The term 'Luthier', as I understand it, is not a description but a title. Titles are earned through apprenticeships or upon completion of an accredited course. Most of these apprenticeships and accredited courses are found in Europe which has a tradition of such. Where I stand is that I trained as a teacher in Craft Design and Technology. After a three year course where I gained my teaching certificate I majored for my 4th year in musical instrument technology producing for my dissertation a history of classic guitar construction, prepared a mechanical sciences research paper on the stress model of a classical guitar front, prepared and presented a seminar paper on Mesopotamian gold work, a dissertation on T S Eliot's 4 Quartets and the works of Harold Pinter and William Faulkner, and began my career building my first guitars in 1976. Although I would like to be a 'luthier' and have that title I am more correctly described an artisan maker, self taught. That I am sometimes referred to by others as a 'master craftsman' is their call not mine: when I say that I am it is because they have said it, not me.

So take me or leave me. I've been too long in the game to know that in this big pool we are all minnows trying to avoid the sharks.

I, for one, appreciate the post above. It seems to me that things got unnecessarily ugly a few pages back. I think it's ok to comment on the work of any builder and of course for the builder to respond to those comments, but I would tread very carefully when talking about other people, builders or otherwise, especially when you probably don't know them personally. The few posts that I wrote in this thread certainly weren't meant as any personal critique, just some observations and, stupidly, assumptions. I would welcome anyone to correct me if I write anything untrue. I also really appreciate any builder, especially more well-known ones, posting on this forum. Not that many do.

I did mention that you, Pete, worked with Juha Lottonen in the past and you said you didn't. That was my bad. I'm guessing you've met him on some convention or something like that because he has mentioned your name when I've talked with him. He's quite the storyteller (not implying that he tells lies, just that he tells a lot of stories :D ) so I simply fail to remember accurately everything he's told me during our conversations. It wasn't my intention to lie about that so I do apologise.

One has to wonder, how much customer input did Stradivarius tolerate when he was taking commissions. Perhaps the world is better off because he stood his ground.

How did this become the Pete Howlett thread? I think that Pete just doesn't suffer fools well, and I can relate to that.

And finally - I have never called myself a luthier. The term 'Luthier', as I understand it, is not a description but a title.

Hate to be picky but from your very own facebook page written presumably by yourself -

'Please keep the content of your post relevant to this site - refrain from posting the work of other luthiers, videos of you playing other luthiers' instruments'

Should that not be 'other ukulele makers'?

Hate to be picky but from your very own facebook page written presumably by yourself -

'Please keep the content of your post relevant to this site - refrain from posting the work of other luthiers, videos of you playing other luthiers' instruments'

Should that not be 'other ukulele makers'?

This is just so not needed. We get it, you don't like the guy, move on with your life.

Top Bottom