Question about Mahogany ukes and harmonics

CYN

Reaction score
It seems a lot of Mahogany made ukes sound muddy at times and lack a lot of harmonics. Do you know of ukes made with mahogany that have both good clarity and harmonics ? I know that mahogany has a very warm and richer sound but most of the ones I have listened to on You Tube have lacked clarity. What do you guys think? Thanks.

I have an older Kala mahogany uke that I think sounds great.
The older Martins were built of mahogany, what could sound better?
If you try one that doesn't sound good, put it back and move on.
Oh, yeah, and YouTube doesn't always present the best sound.....

Clarity and note separation are among the things I want most in ukuleles. In my experience, it has more to do with the builder than the wood. The wood can definitely make a difference, but I find that how it was built matters more. And I second that YouTube (and online samples in general) don't reflect sound super well.

I don't know how much of sound can be attributed to the material. But try to find a 80 to 100 year old mahogany Martin uke and then decide how it sounds.

Mahogany isn't inherently dull at rendering harmonics. I have two Kala Doghair Elites and it is not only on the bright side for normal single notes or chords, but the harmonics ring loud, clear and bright. My Pono MT-E and and Kremona Mari are also mahogany and, while not as bright as the Elite, the harmonics are clear and well defined. What does matter is the quality of the construction and the effectiveness of the design.

I have an old Pono Mahogany tenor and I love the tone which is not muddy at all. I'm considering a Mahogany Baritone for the future.

Top Bottom