New strings?

LindsayOfSaturn

Reaction score
Rohnert Park, CA. The sleepiest little suburban to
Hey guys, I just bought my first ukulele. It isn;t here yet, but when it does get here I know I wanna change out the strings for some Aquila's.

I bought a Ovation Applause UAE148 Tenor Acoustic-Electric Roundback Ukulele. I need to know what strings to put on it from Aquila. Does anyone know what is comes with by chance? A review says: "It came from the factory with strings set up for high G tuning."

Here are all my questions:

So do I want to change to low, or do I want to keep it high?
Does anyone know what strings come on it?
What Aquila's should I buy for it?
Do I need to buy anything additional to change the strings?

Sorry for all the questions....I'm a guitar player. :D

Hi Lindsay, I own a G-String Tenor and recently bought Aquila strings. I like'em. Unless you want to play your uke with a 'Low G' tuning I suggest buying the Tenor strings (High G).

So do I want to change to low, or do I want to keep it high?

Keep it high - you'll get a more traditional uke sound and won't have to do additional setup to fit the low G string.

Does anyone know what strings come on it?

No idea -- you should at least give them a chance before you change them, though. You might like the stock strings just fine, although eventually you'll of course want to try different brands.

What Aquila's should I buy for it?

Get a tenor set. You'll have a choice of all plain or wound C, doesn't really matter which you get first -- everyone has their own preference, you'll have to try them yourself.

Do I need to buy anything additional to change the strings?

Nope, just like restringing a guitar. All you need are strings and a little time. You should be aware that ukulele strings take longer than (steel) guitar strings to stretch out and stay in tune -- just keep tuning them up and give them a week.

Hi, I don't own a tenor and never have (but I did save a bunch of money on my car insurance):rock:

low or high:
If your top string is thicker than the string next to it, its low G.
If you plan on playing Iz'z Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World or Traditional Slack Key, go low. Otherwise get high.

Which Aquila strings depends on how you answered the above question.
but
these are your high g:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-Tenor-Ny...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:0|293:2|294:30

and these are your low G
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-Tenor-Ny...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:2|294:30

Get one of each (perhaps two of each).

Some ukulele players use safety goggles and a hardhat, but those are optional.

Last edited:
May as well buy more than one set and only pay the shipping once!

Top Bottom