Newbie question - Use a pick?

phydaux

Reaction score
Very straightforward, very newbie question - Is it usual to use a pick with a ukulele, or is the expectation that you will only strum & fingerpick?

Since you asked a straightforward question, the straightforward answer is no, picks aren't usual.

The less straightforward answer is that there are no rules; you can do whatever you want. Flat pick, hybrid pick, finger pick--it isn't important. What's important is making a figurative connection with your instrument and making a literal connection with the strings. So do whatever you want as long as you start playing.

I agree with the poster above. However, while I do strum with fingers, I use a felt pick 60% of the time. When performing out, I mostly strum with my fingers. Nothing more embarrassing than dropping a pick. I only use a pick because of arthritis in my fingers. My pointer finger has an artificial knuckle. Past surgery on my thumb and twice on my hand. But this is part of living as a senior adult in my mid seventies, if you choose pain over quitting.

If you don’t have this problem, by all means learn to strum with your fingers. You can kinda go crazy with your fingers, not so much with a pick. You will probably get a lot of answers on this subject, so good luck.

I can only tell you my experience. For almost 50 years I played rhythm guitar and used a pick 99% of the time. When I took up ukulele about 7 years ago, I never used a pick (and actually gave my guitars to my nephew).

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Here is a great tutorial on ukulele picks:

I've been to lots of workshops and ukulele festivals and I've only seen a few people using picks. Very unusual. That said, I've a!so never heard anyone speak disparaging about someone who was.

Played guitar for nigh on fifty years,and then ukulele for about twelve years; never used a pick* But as has been said, you have to play with either a pick or your fingers, whichever suits YOU and is most comfortable.Enjoy what you do and don't overthink it.If a pick is your solution, then go with it and love what you are doing!

*I used a pick briefly when I played the odd touch of slide guitar,back in the day.It suited the slide tone on the guitar better.

I would like to add, that I do not use a pick either, but have learned to grow my nails on my strumming hand. Nails do get hammered and need maintenance. I think if you perform regularly, picks are less prone to wear.

While I very seldom use a pick (there have been times where I've hurt a finger or had dry, cracked fingers, living in Wisconsin/Minnesota these things happen.

However, as a teacher, I bought a bunch of very stiff felt picks for my students to use (this will all change with COVID-19 in the future) where students could borrow a pick if they wanted...and many did.

When it comes to kids...older elementary and middle school...they play with very little attention to their own bodies and many (not just a few) will play until they bleed (This also needs to change with COVID-19). I try to remove barriers to playing for my students...so if they wanted to play with a pick, I'd let them know that "traditional" ukulele players generally do not--but that they had the option.

All that said, you probably shouldn't play with a plastic pick or your ukulele will soon start to look like Willie Nelson's "Trigger." People use felt picks or leather picks. And some of the best leather picks I have used (and bought) are made by Mark Pugh under his "Jumping Cow" line (Part of Stones Music https://sites.google.com/site/stonesmusicgbbo00/jumping-cow).

Very straightforward, very newbie question - Is it usual to use a pick with a ukulele, or is the expectation that you will only strum & fingerpick?

How many ukuleles do you see with pickguards?

Short answer is no - it's not usual. Longer answer is that rules are made to be broken. I will occasionally use a pick on ukulele and nylon string guitar - but I don't play in a manner which causes the pick to ever touch the top. I think that would be the main concern - and maybe string longevity.

Incidentally, my grandmother told me a story about felt picks. Back during the pre-WWII ukulele craze, nearly everyone played ukulele. The men didn't use picks, but the ladies used felt picks in order to protect their painted nails from damage while strumming.

Last edited:
It is unusual to play a ukulele with a pick. In my 5+ years of playing, I've never play with pick for more that 2 seconds (it felt so wrong playing with a pick). If you have good strings on your uke, then it should be very easy on your fingers when picking/strumming, therefore a pick won't be necessary. For some instruments, such as a mandolin that has eight metal strings, a pick is recommended, otherwise you'll murder your fingers. A ukulele however, is very easy on your fingers.

Also, when playing with a pick, you risk of scratching the top of your uke. Many uke players, myself included, would never risk scratching the top of our solid wood ukes either. They're not cheap.

Top Bottom