a trusty humidifier for my uke?

Queen_of_Greece

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need a suggestion for a trusty humidifier please! I want to put it inside my uke case to keep my soprano safe.

If you have a online store from europe it will be great! (ebay or amazon)

Otherwise i will search it :)

I personally prefer the Music Nomad Humilele humidifiers but I cannot find them in any major online music store, at least not with a quick Google search. D'Addario / PlanetWaves has a similar type of humidifier which you can hang between the strings and they also have a general small instrument humidifier that you can just place in a case with your uke. I believe you can find these more easily from online stores, for example Thomann (although I just noticed the shipping cost to Greece, yikes...). I just like the material of the sponge for the Humilele a bit better. Some people also sing the praises of the Oasis OH-18 humidifier but I haven't tried that one myself. Those three, I think, are the most popular ones. You might want to check if you can find any of them on more local shops to avoid crazy shipping costs.

I took my ukulele to my luthier for a humidity issue and she recommended the Oasis Guitar Humidifier - OH1. It's a bit of a stretch between the strings, but humidifies inside the body. Something similar would probably be a good bet, but a bit inconvenient if you're using it every day.

I personally prefer the Music Nomad Humilele humidifiers but I cannot find them in any major online music store, at least not with a quick Google search. D'Addario / PlanetWaves has a similar type of humidifier which you can hang between the strings and they also have a general small instrument humidifier that you can just place in a case with your uke. I believe you can find these more easily from online stores, for example Thomann (although I just noticed the shipping cost to Greece, yikes...). I just like the material of the sponge for the Humilele a bit better. Some people also sing the praises of the Oasis OH-18 humidifier but I haven't tried that one myself. Those three, I think, are the most popular ones. You might want to check if you can find any of them on more local shops to avoid crazy shipping costs.

Thank you for your suggestions Dohle! :)

You have right , the shipping costs are crazy. So i checked the online store here and i found the:

Humidipak Planet waves PW-HPK-01 (Automatic humidifier) from D'addario at 28 euros
Music Nomad MN306 at 40 euros
Music Nomad MN303 at 13 euros

what's your opinion?

Last edited:
I took my ukulele to my luthier for a humidity issue and she recommended the Oasis Guitar Humidifier - OH1. It's a bit of a stretch between the strings, but humidifies inside the body. Something similar would probably be a good bet, but a bit inconvenient if you're using it every day.

Thank you for your suggestion glennerd! :) Unfortunately, i cant find it at my Country and the shipping costs are huge

Thank you for your suggestions Dohle! :)

You have right , the shipping costs are crazy. So i checked the online store here and i found the:

Humidipak Planet waves PW-HPK-01 (Automatic humidifier) from D'addario at 28 euros
Music Nomad MN306 at 40 euros
Music Nomad MN303 at 13 euros

what's your opinion?

Ah, apologies. I completely forgot the PlanetWaves humidifier system. I haven't used it myself but many people here recommend it. If you are really concerned about humidification then that one is a really good choice. I believe you can buy replacement humidity packs for it fairly easily as well. The Music Nomad MN306 seems to be a similar system but more expensive. I would go for the PlanetWaves one myself.

The Music Nomad MN303 is a simple guitar humidifier so it's probably too big for a ukulele and also might humidify it too much. Music Nomad has a smaller one for ukuleles specifically called Humilele which I mentioned earlier, but if you can't find that the PlanetWaves one is probably your best bet for a decent price.

Hello everyone!

I need a suggestion for a trusty humidifier please! I want to put it inside my uke case to keep my soprano safe.

If you have a online store from europe it will be great! (ebay or amazon)

Otherwise i will search it :)

I live in a home using forced air heat and a wood burning fireplace. Even with a furnace attached whole-house humidifier it still registers at 30%. I invested in two humidifiers for each solid wood uke. The obvious choice for the sound hole is the Oasis OH-18 and in the case(s) I added a Boveda 49% Two-Way pack. Using a digital hygrometer to measure ( about $18 US ) the humidity has stayed between 44 & 48%. This is in both a hard case and a heavy padded gig bag.

FWIW, Boveda recommends "seasoning" cases/bags for a few days before adding an instrument. Following some advice from another forum, (without the ukes inside) I added a damp sponge (in an open saucer) to the inside of the case. The hygrometer measured 60% after three days. I removed the sponge, replaced it with the Boveda pack and after three days the levels stayed at 46%.

And, the Boveda works against high humidity as well. They made their name providing humidifiers for cigar humidors, cigars being very sensitive to humidity requirements for maintaining freshness.

They sell a special 'sleeve' to install packs inside ukes & guitars, but I don't use one, instead relying on the Oasis. So -if you go this route- just place the pack in an open area of the case/bag.

https://bovedainc.com/store/music-wood-instruments/

I never understood all this humidifier and keep in a case thing. I keep my room with 20 stringed instruments humidified with an electronic humidifier but if I wanted to keep one instrument safe, I would just put it in one or two big plasticbags, checked for leaks. Then the humidity stays the same in the whole instrument, also in the neck, avoiding frets sticking out.

You don't have to risk any water or mold inside your instrument. You don't have to fill it up every other day and it's cheap.

A case isn't airtight, so the air inside is replaced , albeit at a slower rate, with changing airpressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom