NUD: Martin 0X Bamboo

Puglele

Reaction score
Just received this baby for an hour. I am impressed by the quality and sound. The sustain is insane. I can care less it's not all solid wood.
The problem I have is that action is a little high, is it possible to shave the saddle?
Also, the corner of the nut near the A string is kinda sharp. I feel it poking my hand when playing. Other than that, the uke has great sound!
B5305B9D-C85E-4DDE-8245-69F78F745101.jpg
D0AABB52-7A91-4EC4-A235-D9129BE5BE04.jpg42983BA8-1B59-4A95-B873-4022B6D8EF3D.jpg60DE9D22-0D0A-497A-88F1-BC1B237A40F7.jpg

Yes, I got one a while back and it is a pleasure to play. I have had some instruments both solids and laminates that did not sound as good.

I know what you mean about the nut. Take some very fine sandpaper, small file or emery board and do a couple of swipes on the sharp edge just to round it slightly, not enough to really see, but just to take down the sharpness.

Yes, I got one a while back and it is a pleasure to play. I have had some instruments both solids and laminates that did not sound as good.

I know what you mean about the nut. Take some very fine sandpaper, small file or emery board and do a couple of swipes on the sharp edge just to round it slightly, not enough to really see, but just to take down the sharpness.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that. It’s killing my hand lol
I’m very fond of this model and this is my first Martin. Now I have s1 in mind! Should be my next uke.

Or keep your eye out for a nice vintage Martin at a good price.

No, I have not adjusted action as it is fine as is.

Yes, that is a very nice uke. A couple of friends and I have them. It's too bad Martin stopped making them. I managed to find a new one a t a good price - $240. I've noticed that sharp edge on the nut on other Martins, and I'm surprised they do that. Even cheap ukes have that rounded a bit. When I've come across that, I just sanded it down a bit. Reducing the height of the saddle shouldn't be a problem, although I left mine alone. If you mess it up, new generic saddles are readily available online.

Sharp edges on the nut must be a Martin "feature". I've had to round off the edges on my old OXK and my current S1.

I received my Martin OX Bamboo in Blue yesterday... Sound is equal to the S1 to my ear.. Nicely finished
I had a hard time finding the Blue one.. Any idea on production numbers?

Attachments

• 21032836_10214707081978923_5240981161503563950_n.jpg
    21032836_10214707081978923_5240981161503563950_n.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sharp corners seem to be common with the new Enya Nova ukes, too.
Congrats on your new Martin!
I still think they make some of the best ukuleles in the world.

Congrats on your new Martin!
I still think they make some of the best ukuleles in the world.

I've heard that preference for that vintage Martin sound over the modern version probably has more to do with the aging of the wood than difference in build quality. HPLs, which I think sound great, might stay the same, but it's possible that modern, wood Martins will improve in sound as the decades pass, matching or surpassing those from the last century.

I've heard that preference for that vintage Martin sound over the modern version probably has more to do with the aging of the wood than difference in build quality. HPLs, which I think sound great, might stay the same, but it's possible that modern, wood Martins will improve in sound as the decades pass, matching or surpassing those from the last century.

I don't have that much time to wait! :rolleyes:

Ugh I think I shaved too much of the saddle down. It lost some volume and potential to buzz ( maybe I’m too sensitive ). Trying to contact dealers to see who carries the saddle for replacement.

Ugh I think I shaved too much of the saddle down. It lost some volume and potential to buzz ( maybe I’m too sensitive ). Trying to contact dealers to see who carries the saddle for replacement.

No worries, try a credit card shim under the saddle.

Top Bottom