Question about the uke bridge

Loska

Reaction score
I have a question about uke bridges. Is it a bad thing if I can see under the bridge. Not all the way through, but there is a visible cap between the bridge and the top. Two corners aren't touching the top at all. Does it have an affect to sound projection or can it be a safety issue?

The bridge can come off. If it's your new Opio then you could email SUS about it. It might be ok for years if enough of the bridge is glued down. You could slide a bit of paper underneath to gauge how far the paper goes. Then take a picture and mail SUS, so that they can see how much of an issue it is now and how likely it is to get worse.

Hi Ms Bean! No, it isn't my new Opio, fortunately! It is a hand made concert uke that I thought I could buy, but after seeing the bridge I'm hesitant to do that.

If it is a new instrument, your hesitation is warranted, as there is no acceptable reason for bridge separation in a new build.
If it is an old build that has been otherwise well-constructed, the gap can be used to advantage for hot knife removal.
The footprint of the bridge can then be checked for true contact with the soundboard, adjusted if necessary, and re-glued.
This is rarely difficult for an experienced repairer.

Yep, it is a brand new one, build by a local luthier. I was taken aback when I saw the brigde. The builder says it is not a big problem, but my gut says it should be clued and attached properly.

Top Bottom