Dry Skin

Badger uke

Reaction score
Does anyone else have very dry skin on there fingers, I have to use some off my wife’s moisturiser creams to make my ukes sound good if I don’t they sound a bit scratchy.

You are putting moisturiser on your ukes???? (Sorry, I am being facetious!)

Not a problem (yet) with my stringed instruments, but I find a spot of hand-cream on my fingertips to be beneficial for my woodwind ... recorder, whistle, open-hole flute, clarinet etc. ... to help ensure the holes seal reliably. Just remember to wipe it off after playing ;)

:music:

I have a little tube of guitar string lube. It's probably safe for uke fretboards too.

These products have names like finger ease and fast fret.

You need to drink a lot more water. When I worked at Starbucks, and had my hands in sanitizer solution more often than not, and I was constantly washing my hands. My fingertips cracked and split, the cuticles split, the backs of the hands dried out...

I used a beeswax/honey salve on my hands that I got at the Dane County Farmers Market in Madison, WI, sealed the cracks with superglue, and sanded down the superglue, just to be able to play. When I started drinking more water, slightly less cracking and drying out. When I left Starbucks, and the sanitizing solution (quaternary ammonium-based), my hands started to heal.

Guess what has happened, in the last 6-8 weeks?

I have to remember to keep drinking the water, and using the beeswax salve. (Luckily, they fingertips aren't splitting, just the backs of the hands, and the cuticles are drying out.)

-Kurt​

I have a little tube of guitar string lube. It's probably safe for uke fretboards too.

These products have names like finger ease and fast fret.

Thanks Neil never new of this product is it made for steel or nylon strings.

At work I use my hands a lot and they crack. For a quick-fix I super-glue the cracks and that fixes the problem. If I have more time, I use Working Hands lotion and cotton gloves while I sleep. That usually fixes the cracks within a day or so.

At work I use my hands a lot and they crack. For a quick-fix I super-glue the cracks and that fixes the problem. If I have more time, I use Working Hands lotion and cotton gloves while I sleep. That usually fixes the cracks within a day or so.

Okay, that's two of us using superglue...

Should we be using Titebond or Hide glue instead?

(Well, it is one of the standard ukulele conversations...)

I have very dry skin on my hands. I don't know what to do, how to moisturize. It is especially felt when I work with wood or metal.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I have this problem because I work in the automotive industry and my hands always come into contact with metal, oil, fuel oil and other substances not very useful for skin. At first I moisturized my hands with creams in every way, but it didn't help. Then I read the reviews about Leather Work Gloves https://systemofyoursafety.com/top-10-best-leather-work-gloves/, which are used in various fields and help protect your hands. This is how I chose Magid Safety Electrical Gloves, where I have been working continuously for several months now. Hands are no longer dry, I suggest you try it.

I used to do a lot of motorcycle maintenance, and I've found that wearing a pair of latex examination gloves under the regular mechanic's gloves worked great at keeping my hands totally clean and still be able to do fine work. Sometimes I'll double up on the latex gloves when I know it'll be a rougher job. Nothing passes thru to my hands with that setup.

Between hand washing much more frequently than usual (although it probably should happen more often, anyway) and dish washing/household cleaning, I'm definitely noticing dry skin on the hands. I expect it during the dry winter months, but even in a damp Spring, it's still something that needs regular maintenance. Increased fluid intake (beer is a fluid, right?) and a Shea Butter moisturizer seem to keep it from getting to the splits-and-cracks phase.

I used to have that problem too. I started using a little bit of hand cream every time my hands get wet. That stopped it from happening. I keep hand cream at every sink now.

Spam

Dry skin is something that needs attention, whether you play the uke or not. There are lots of good products, but this one from Burt's Bees is excellent. The price seems to have gone up since I bought it last. It's now $5.56/ounce. Another good one is Working Hands, at $2.70/ounce.

https://smile.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Almond-Milk-Cream/dp/B0018BQF6I/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=burt's+bees+hand+moisturizer&qid=1593001407&sr=8-27

https://smile.amazon.com/OKeeffes-W...nd+moisturizer&qid=1593001516&s=beauty&sr=1-9
The O’Keefe’s Working Hands product that you linked to also makes a lip balm. Unfortunately, not named O’Keefe’s Working Lips.

Top Bottom