Possible cracks on Outdoor Tenor

jimrex62

Reaction score
Hello, was wondering if any other Outdoor owners have experienced these cracks either side of the neck at the top to side seam?

View attachment 126582
637D2104-D1FF-450A-956F-A5D03722B544.jpg

I really like it still and can't detect any buzzing, so it's more of a cosmetic thing I guess.

I haven't dropped it, but was wondering if it just gets too hot in Houston during the summer. I left it in the truck a few days with the windows up.

I believe the FB post mentioned that Outdoor explained that it is cosmetic cracking due to temperature changes. May or may not be covered if you are in the warranty period. I would contact them either way.

I haven't dropped it, but was wondering if it just gets too hot in Houston during the summer. I left it in the truck a few days with the windows up.

OOPS...:eek::D:shaka:

No cracking on my bottle brown. It is from the first batch of tenors Outdoor Ukulele made.

I obviously don't have any cause not to believe that the green Outdoor uke was dropped or suffered any other kind of impact. If an impact were to blame I wouldn't expect the cracks to appear on both sides either. What temperature is the Outdoor supposed to survive?

Interesting. If you go to that FaceBook Uke Marketplace listing that was mentioned, there is one reply saying that "This exact thing happened to my husband's model exactly like yours, and he contacted the company and they made it right and gave him a brand new one." But there are also two emails shown from Scott at Outdoor Ukulele to the owner that would give me pause. The first is that "These are surface stress fractures from rapid changes in temperatures and don't affect the sound or structure of the instrument." And a second from Scott saying "Nothing will happen to the instrument. There is an additive that adds a very thin hard layer, and that's what looks like cracks. It does not affect the instruments sound or function in any way."

I would have expected the comment about stress fractures with temperature. Not sure what to make of the "additive" explanation.

That’s the same exact email I received this morning. Copy/paste!
“Yes, we’ve seen a few. We think it’s the mineral used during the injection molding process that makes the surface harder for scratched. We think this very thin layer could craze under certain conditions, making it look like a crack.”

I’m ok with the response. Besides leaving it in a hot truck during work hours, it’s also on a few trailer trips in “winter”.
Quotes because I live in Houston.

Top Bottom