A little clawhammer uke

I am a very new ukulele player but I've been playing clawhammer banjo for about 5 years now (and other instruments for much, much longer); translating that technique has been an easy way to get some songs out that sound like something.

This is based on Aaron Keim's book. My next project is to pick a tune I know on the banjo and learn it on the uke.

Nice. Clawhammer's on my list when I can figure out what I'm doing better. Trying to pick this up at 60 hasn't been easy

You're very good at that!

Nice. Clawhammer's on my list when I can figure out what I'm doing better. Trying to pick this up at 60 hasn't been easy

Good for you for trying - it keeps you sharp - that's one of the many reasons why I am learning. Also, I think it takes so much more courage to pick up something as an adult - it's so easy for us to fear failure too much to try something like a musical instrument.

Good for you for trying - it keeps you sharp - that's one of the many reasons why I am learning. Also, I think it takes so much more courage to pick up something as an adult - it's so easy for us to fear failure too much to try something like a musical instrument.
Yeah that's the hard part for me is trying to strum etc and being irritated at myself for not being "perfect." Kids can whale away and keep going

Five thumbs up! :D Sounds great!

GCEA, with a high G so it's more like a 5-string banjo.

That's interesting, I play a short scale (17 fret) tenor banjo tuned to those intervals but dGBE, it gives a reasonable Bluegrass sound when fingerpicked.
I like the clawhammer style, must look up some tutorials.

Vintage

I’m going to take you up on this generous offer! I think I’ll start working on a vaccine to help speed things up.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. We're anxious to get back to work.

Top Bottom