Help with A String Breakage on Risa Solid Tenor!

NoJive

Reaction score
So I've had my Risa Stick/Solid tenor for a couple weeks,and twice I've taken it out of the case to find the A string broke. The first time it broke, I lubed the metal rod with some lithium grease, as I do not have anything like Nut Sauce. That did make tuning much easier, but didn't stop the string from breaking, as I found it broke again last night. It seems to be breaking between the rod and the tuners, and not at the rod like I suspected. Is there anything else I can do? :confused:

The usual number 1 suspect in these cases is a rough/sharp edge in the nut slot for the string that's breaking.
This is the first place to look.

Breaking the A string was why I sent my Risa back. If you do a search you'll find lots of comments on this problem. Most folks seem to be able to solve it with a combination of sanding down the slot and edges on the rear roller (or "rod") and lubrication. Be sure to do a good job smoothing over the edge of the slot, since the string rests on that edge when it leaves the roller to head to the tuner.

Personally, I've only broken one 'A' string through slightly rough tuning - these ukes need to be tuned slowly/carefully.

But as said above, there was a period where people were finding lots of string breakage, & the solution seemed to be chamfering the edge of the slot on the roller.

Breaking the A string was why I sent my Risa back. If you do a search you'll find lots of comments on this problem. Most folks seem to be able to solve it with a combination of sanding down the slot and edges on the rear roller (or "rod") and lubrication. Be sure to do a good job smoothing over the edge of the slot, since the string rests on that edge when it leaves the roller to head to the tuner.[/QUOTE

I did chamfer the edges a bit, so we'll see how this goes. Since the rod/nut itself doesn't rotate, it would seem like all of the slots would've been angled with the strong path...but what do I know.

What was weird about mine, is that it didn't break during tuning, both times it broke while in the case.

Is that roller nut removable? Mine seems to slide a bit side to side, but seems locked in.

What was weird about mine, is that it didn't break during tuning, both times it broke while in the case.

The same thing happened to me with a resonator I had. I would bring it up to tune, play it a bit and then put it on a stand overnight. The next morning the A of the new nylon strings would be broken. I replaced it, and the same thing. Always at the string hole in the reso plate. I took a small file to the slot and that fixed it.

I assume that the new strings were abraided by a sharp edge and as they stretched and then contracted a little from the cooler night air, it broke.

Unless you have it strung with Aquila Reds. They had a tendency to do that on their own unless stretched slowly and carefully.

I think there have been several discussions here and in the comments after Baz' review about this and the RISA Stick. I've been fortunate that I haven't had this happen with mine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom