Mad World (Tears for Fears)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score

Feeling a bit stressed by the coming university semester here in Japan. We have to give all our lessons online, so teachers everywhere are trying to figure out how to do video conferencing, give quizzes, etc. all the while trying to come up with a way of challenging and uplifting our students, not to mention assessing them and giving grades fairly.

I posted this song on UU way back in 2008 but had my "keonepax" channel suspended (I think in 2011) for copyright issues. Anyway, this seems a good time to repost it. Hope you like it!

Mad World indeed. Nice job on this one John.

My wife works in the elementary schools, and the teachers she knows say they are working harder than ever, with the video/distance learning issues, and requiring the parents to suddenly be much more involved. Many parents are getting a real eye opener about what teachers go through every day.

Thanks, John! A lot more work and many more hours on the computer. At least this is forcing me to learn about some computer stuff that I've been reluctant or too lazy to learn before. I feel sorry for the students, but I think some of them will come to appreciate traditional face to face teaching more. And in the case of elementary schools, yes, I hope parents come to appreciate what teachers do!

Very nice, John. Kudos to you and other educators, essential workers and to everyone struggling with this (hopefully) temporary situation. We're finishing our final exams this next week after switching to online classes over a month ago. Mad world indeed.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! Man, I'm glad we at least have some time to prepare. I can't imagine having to switch to online teaching in the middle of the year!
I'm hoping coronavirus will somehow fade away on its own, but I have a feeling we'll have to wait for a vaccine. It's rough on everybody, and I hope we don't all go mad!

Lovely cover. :)

Thanks, WifeOnFourStrings! I really appreciate it! :)

Wonderful song for these times.

I feel fortunate that the changeover came as we were coming off spring break. I already had two online sections and had to transition four face-to-face sections to totally online.

Poor or non-existent WiFi, power outages from spring storms, students locked down in rural areas, students who are now essential employees and working 60+ hours, students who are trying to learn while being caregivers 24/7 - I am so impressed by my students who have overcome such adversity so well.

Thanks, Laura! Besides being worried about myself as a teacher, I worry about the students. It'll be tough for them having to go online for all their classes, and it's sad that they can't meet each other in person, no sports, no clubs events, etc. Some of them will struggle with the assignments if they have no printer, no computer, and so on. Somehow we'll get through it!

I totally loved this John! I think, for me, it's one of your best - well done matey.
My wife and daughter both teach 4 -5 year olds, and the current situation is difficult enough for them and the little darlings they teach in such early years, but for you guts teaching older ones, exam, etc. it must be a nightmare!
Many thanks to you and all who are working so hard to not only ensure your own futures, but who're working so hard to help our youngsters keep on track too.
Keep safe buddy (and all UU-ers).
Congrats again on the song.

Thanks, Dave! Teaching young kids must be tough because you have to include a lot of variety due to their relatively short attention spans. I think early education teachers have to learn how to work with parents in this situation. I can't even imagine how tough it must be for special education teachers! We'll get through this tough period, but we'll all have to be as patient and positive as we can! :)

Thanks John, for keeping the future generation going. Teaching is a hard enough task, and now under these circumstances!? Educators dot get enough credits.
Hey, and if YouTube take down your posts, that means some big wigs think you are good enough to threaten them. Congrats!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Joseph! I really appreciate it! All we can do is try to stay positive and do the best we can. I'll do my best!

Thanks for the great cover! It's always been one of my favorites. And I give all the teachers humongous kudos for having to abruptly jump into a new way of teaching, and for their dedication to persist so that their students could continue in their education. These are strange, difficult times indeed.

Thanks, Cadia! I really appreciate it! I'll have my first online classes tomorrow! Wish me luck! :)

Combination strum and fingerpick? Like the extra lyrics. I remember the song from the TV show Third Watch.
Thanks for teaching

Thanks, captain-janeway! I added the fingerpicking in a second audio track during post-production. My only regret is not adding some vocal harmony. This song is a really good one for that. By the way, I had my first online classes yesterday. I had a few snags, but no real disaster. But I can see this is going to be a very different and challenging semester. It's hard to imagine the possibility of having to teach this way the entire school year!

Top Bottom