Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring top thickness

Digital brake disc gauges might do the job too. They tend to have a few inches of jaw depth and can be cheaper than some other options.

This is the one you want if youve got plenty of cash http://www.magicprobe.net/ I think its the one Resoman's talking about.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Lying awake in the middle of the night it occurred to me that I was overthinking this, as usual. If I know the thickness of the top as installed, and I can determine the thickness of the total instrument with a shop-made dial indicator caliper, then whatever sanding I do can be determined by the difference between the initial full thickness of the instrument compared to the final thickness.

This is not rocket surgery! It's not even brain science! And given that a number of you folks who've built instruments for years don't put a lot of stock in sanding after boxing up, I'm certainly not going to spend $400 to figure that out. Once this covid thing winds down, that could buy a lot of mochas. Perhaps even a couple cheeseburgers!! :-)

Thank you all!

Some people process things through their own head to come up with answers. Others, like me, leech off of what others (youse guys) have done. 😀
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

Quote Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
    Digital brake disc gauges might do the job too. They tend to have a few inches of jaw depth and can be cheaper than some other options.
    PHP Code:
    THAT 
    is creative!! Thanks!
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    This is the one you want if youve got plenty of cash http://www.magicprobe.net/ I think its the one Resoman's talking about.
    The one in the video is the newer model. I have the older first generation model and while it was not as expensive as the current model it was expensive enough. I use it all the time tho along with the deep throat dial
    th
    Last edited by resoman; 04-25-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    On eBay look out for a “deep throat 0 to 25mm micrometer”
    That's another tool I didn't know I needed purchase

Thanks
    Island Road Ukuleles

islandroadukuleles@gmail.com

Thread Information