Manzanita Ukulele Search

UkesNBeards

Reaction score
Hey fellow UU friends,

Has anyone ever heard of a ukulele made out of any of the common arctostaphylos manzanita varieties? I've seen bridges and fretboards made of manzanita, but never a top, back, or sides of a ukulele. It looks like someone has done it for an electric guitar before - There's also a great picture of manzanita in that post.

Here's a post of the types I'd like to find

This site doesn't seem to have info on Manzanita

This site has some info on manzanita

I love manzanita and I would love to find an acoustic ukulele made out of it but I'm wondering if anyone has any other info on the wood, if there is a luthier out there making manzanita ukuleles, or if my journey is hopeless because manzanita is too difficult to work with?

Thank you!

UkesnBeards

Is it even possible? Don't misunderstand me. When I walk down the barrancas and along the bosques near the river I love manzanita, but how could you get a piece large enough for a soundboard. It is, after all, just a glorified bush.

I hadn’t seen this before but yeah, same question as Ksiegel, I hope he’s ok or maybe he’s working on building more?

Is it even possible? Don't misunderstand me. When I walk down the barrancas and along the bosques near the river I love manzanita, but how could you get a piece large enough for a soundboard. It is, after all, just a glorified bush.

Click on the video link in the reply from saltytri and see for yourself

He just did it in his own but I wonder if other luthiers are working with manzanita? I’d love it!
Go take a hike in the Sierra Nevadas and you’ll find plenty that are large enough. There’s definitely some large enough in my backyard.

Hey uuers, yeah, it's been a while since I've posted, but I'm still making manzanita ukuleles, although I've slowed down a bit -- just finished #36 a few months ago. Anyway, take care, and UkesNBeards, let me know if you got the PM.

Hey, Doug! Haven't see a post for a while! Glad everything is OK!

I've missed the music... and wish I could afford one of your ukes...

-Kurt

Hey uuers, yeah, it's been a while since I've posted, but I'm still making manzanita ukuleles, although I've slowed down a bit -- just finished #36 a few months ago. Anyway, take care, and UkesNBeards, let me know if you got the PM.

I got it and sent you a reply. Thank you for the quick response and glad to know there are others out there who love manzanita!

Top Bottom