Season 428 - I Can Talk

RAB11

Reaction score
Gooooood evening!

Was hoping to have a recording from tonight's Zoom meeting (which is still going as I type so jump in there! Pa is smashing it!) to introduce this thread but there was a technological glitch so here's a text intro instead.

This week is dedicated to talking. In part inspired by my youngest slowly starting to get more talkative. He's got a few one-syllable words but even his baby speak is more conversational now and we can generally understand each other. The other inspiration is the new normal for the ways we have conversation in the age of Covid. So your task this week is simple.

Sing me a song about talking, or conversation. Mention the need for a long-overdue chat, remember a particularly poignant conversation, or even a song that contains a conversation. As long as the subject involves verbal communication it's fair game. Originals obviously welcome within this remit.

Normal rules apply.

New video for this week

Remember it's a ukulele forum

Midnight Hawaii Sunday to Midnight Hawaii Sunday.

Have fun!!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Hi and happy summer (the 21st was the 1st day of summer here in Iceland).
How are talking songs viewed in this? Like talkning blues and such...?

Either songs that mention talking or songs that sound like a conversation. I don't mean just talking over music.

Hello, Ryan ... and thank you for this splendid theme! I couldn't quite believe it when I came upon this song by accident this morning. Apparently, some inspired person picked up on a remark made by Justin Trudeau in a Covid-19 press conference at his home, in which he used the unfortunate expression "speaking moistly" (something which he instantly regretted.) Needless to say, it was immediately turned into a song by the very talented "anonymotif". I DO hope that this will not offend anyone ... we are, after all, in these terrible times, being bombarded constantly (and very necessarily) with this advice.

Gday Ryan. Thanks for the week. I found this today..the title got me in.
In a tuning I haven't seen before DADADE is the guitar. So baritone uke is DADE. i tuned down and capoed up - to lessen chance of string breaks.

Right here's one from me that I played in the Zoom chat last night. Sound quality is awful as I'm on my laptop rather than my tablet which seems to have died a death through lockdown overuse. If this is what I sounded like last night I apologise.

Now to catch up on everyone else!

Either songs that mention talking or songs that sound like a conversation. I don't mean just talking over music.

Gotcha. Just wanted to be sure. I was thinking about Beck's 'Satan gave me a taco' which sounds quite 'talky' and is put forth as a story.

This one was mentioned last night, so I got in quick.

I learned this song this past week for the Tin Pan Alley group I'm in, so I made a new recording for here. It's a conversation between a cowboy named Jim and his friend Bill, about a woman who stole Jim's horse and ran away to San Antonio with a man named Antonio.

To be fair, not so much a song about talking, rather a song about a total absence of talking in the very near future. It does however suggest that verbal communication has happened up until this point...

Thanks for hosting Ryan! Shake Russell is a Texas singer songwriter I grew up listening to, and going to watch in concert. I always loved hearing him perform this song ~

Top Bottom