Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old family banjo uke -- can it be saved?

Default Old family banjo uke -- can it be saved?

Hi, all! I only caught the ukulele bug a 6 months ago when I got my first proper instrument (a Pono tenor). But the passion has inspired me to see if I can bring back to life an old banjo uke that once (in college?) belonged to my grandfather, passed on to my father as a child, and then to me. Somehow despite the fact that it was mostly in the care of children for the better part of a half century, the bridge and drum survive. But not one of the pegs. It has a brass resonator and a skin drum and cheap plastic friction pegs that are likely not original to the instrument (and one of them broken).

Any advice about where/how to get new pegs for this instrument? I know it is not a fancy thing, but I have been fascinated by it since I was a kid and would love to hear how it sounds.IMG_7230.jpgIMG_7232.jpg

Other might can suggest good friction pegs. You might also consider Pegheds: http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/p...d-brand-tuners
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Ordinary violin pegs will do. Or a set of inexpensive friction pegs from Stew mac.
    The broken pegs may very well be the original “Ivoroid” friction pegs from the maker. Honestly, I wouldn’t put much money into it.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Oh I didn’t know about peg heads. The site describes them as challenging to install though and I am very much a rookie

And it looks like you may need a tail piece but I think, from the looks of it, it might be worth saving.
    See Stew Mac or a local luthier who will tell you what it will cost to restore.

It may be the photo but those frets look pretty banged up.i it's going to take some work to get it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    It may be the photo but those frets look pretty banged up.i it's going to take some work to get it back together.
    I confess to not being a good judge. Back when I was a kid I had it strung up with classical guitar strings and it "played" to my uninformed ears ok. Here are a couple of pics of the frets.

IMG_7236.jpg
    IMG_7235.jpg

As with many of the inexpensive banjo ukes of the time (My Stella being a good example), the frets are right into the neck - no separate fretboard. My Stella is fine up to the 5th fret; beyond that, uh, no.

As to tuners, those probably are the originals. You can either replace them with violin pegs, as previously suggested, or just get a set of Grover friction tuners. I'm not a friction tuner fan, but the Stella has the original ~1920 Champion friction tuners, and once I learned about adjusting them (tighten the screw, but not too much!), they work fine.

Don't put a lot of money into it, just get it playable again, and enjoy!

And buy a new ukulele, for what you were thinking about putting into this one.

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    As with many of the inexpensive banjo ukes of the time (My Stella being a good example), the frets are right into the neck - no separate fretboard. My Stella is fine up to the 5th fret; beyond that, uh, no.

As to tuners, those probably are the originals. You can either replace them with violin pegs, as previously suggested, or just get a set of Grover friction tuners. I'm not a friction tuner fan, but the Stella has the original ~1920 Champion friction tuners, and once I learned about adjusting them (tighten the screw, but not too much!), they work fine.

Don't put a lot of money into it, just get it playable again, and enjoy!

And buy a new ukulele, for what you were thinking about putting into this one.

-Kurt
    Thanks, Kurt, and all, for your suggestions! I will definitely be buying a new uke to go with my Pono tenor, and I agree about not putting much work or money into this old guy, which was no doubt a bargain basement item even in the 20s or 30s when it was new. I really appreciate it and am happy to be here

Quote Originally Posted by jaredg View Post
    Thanks, Kurt, and all, for your suggestions! I will definitely be buying a new uke to go with my Pono tenor, and I agree about not putting much work or money into this old guy, which was no doubt a bargain basement item even in the 20s or 30s when it was new. I really appreciate it and am happy to be here
    Here's the thread about my old stella... which was $30 from a pawn shop in Auburn, NY around 1979... I bought it as wall art, not knowing I had a playable instrument.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ghlight=Stella
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information