Guitar or Ukulele?

Alex Warm

Reaction score
I am new to singing and playing instruments need recommendation about where to start. I own guitar but i am not interested in learning guitar because Ukulele attract me more than guitar. What do you think should I buy a new ukulele or start learning instruments using a guitar.

.... I own guitar but i am not interested in learning guitar because Ukulele attract me more than guitar. What do you think should I buy a new ukulele or start learning instruments using a guitar.

"I own guitar but i am not interested in learning guitar because Ukulele attract me more than guitar."

I think you answered your own question! :D

^

Definitely. If you don’t WANT to learn how to play guitar, you’ll have a harder time maintaining any level of motivation when things get difficult. Best to do what you want.

I've had access to a couple of nice guitars for the last 20 years, do yea think I might pick them up now and then, nope not really.......

I play the ukulele.......

Although after watching Jorma Kaukonen play these last 4 Saturday nights on live stream Youtube..........maybe I aught to pick up that Martin that's in the house??????

I played guitar for almost fifty years, then seven years ago I took up the ukulele, I haven't touched my guitars since and gave all four to my nephew, a very accomplished guitarist and composer. If I pick up a guitar, it feels like driving a semi truck, playing the uke is like driving a Porsche.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Ukulele is more forgiving than guitar.

You have no motivation for guitar. You want to play uke, so start with the uke. A case against the guitar - if you start learning guitar chords, the finger positions on the fretboard are different on the uke, so you'll only confuse yourself when going to the second instrument.

Just get a ukulele and start already. It's not like signing your name in blood:)

I own guitar but i am not interested in learning guitar because Ukulele attract me more than guitar.

That's fair, but I'm curious - what caused you to lose interest in the guitar? If it's having to learn music, then I'm afraid it will be no different on the ukulele.

Learning music - rhythm, harmony, melody, what chords belong to a key, what notes make up a chord, and why... All of that stuff is independent of the instrument.

You can always buy a baritone uke tuned to top 4 strings of a guitar. Then if you decide to go to a guitar, the changeover would be a bit easier.

As long as the instrument is setup properly, it'll be easier to learn and play on.

Top Bottom