Thread: Tenor specs

Default Tenor specs

Just geeking out on another groundhog/COVID day at home. On my 5 year uke journey so far, I have been keeping track of specs of ukes I've owned, and others I just got a chance to measure. The important specs for my style are nut width, and string spacing (and neck profile/thickness, to a lesser degree). Here's a few tenors I've measured, with an Elite concert thrown in at the end, since most of their concerts and tenors are so different.

To me, the standouts here are the large specs on Kala Elite and Romero ukes, and small specs on Kala's China-made ukes (at least the one I measured, a shame that they really seemed to choke that one, since otherwise, the tone & volume were excellent).

Just in passing, I've also owned some sopranos which had nut/spread specs bigger than many of these tenors

Tenor specs.JPG
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 04-27-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    John

Nice work!
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

Thanks, good information!

I don't know why you didn't keep the Elite concert, it was so nice! But glad you didn't, as if not, I wouldn't have discovered what a treasure they are. The Elites make me seem like a better player than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    I don't know why you didn't keep the Elite concert, it was so nice! But glad you didn't, as if not, I wouldn't have discovered what a treasure they are. The Elites make me seem like a better player than I am.
    Yes, it was a nice uke, but I really wanted a tenor size instead. With the wide nut/string specs, I find the Elites very easy to play.
    John

Thanks John...……..interesting statistics

Hey, thank you so much for posting this info! I’ve been scouring the web trying to find out what the nut width is on the Tiny Tenors — and I was, literally, logging onto UU to post my question — and lo and behold — here is your post with EXACTLY the info I needed — and it was even the first thread listed under ‘Uke Talk!’ Pretty cool timing — thanks for posting this valuable info for us to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hochapeafarm View Post
    Hey, thank you so much for posting this info! I’ve been scouring the web trying to find out what the nut width is on the Tiny Tenors — and I was, literally, logging onto UU to post my question — and lo and behold — here is your post with EXACTLY the info I needed — and it was even the first thread listed under ‘Uke Talk!’ Pretty cool timing — thanks for posting this valuable info for us to see!
    Yes, I thought the Tiny Tenor would have a wider 38mm nut, like some other Romeros.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 04-29-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    John

On that Kala tenor, with the meager 38.4mm string spread at the saddle, I converted it to a string-through bridge with just 4 small, well placed holes. Now the string spread at the saddle is 43.3mm, and it feels much more like my other tenors. Converting the string spread at the nut will be more challenging; I'm trying to live with the 27mm for now. Uke was low cost and well-worn, so I don't mind modding it, to get it how I like it.

bridge3.jpg

10.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 04-30-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    John

Thread Information