Am I the only one who dislikes rope binding?

Do you like rope binding?

• Yes, love it!

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I dislike rope binding.

Votes: 59 45.4%
  • I am neutral towards rope binding. I neither lover or hate it.

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters
Well, just in case anyone is thinking that rope binding is somehow a lesser finish than abalone or some other material, let me point out that all of my Kamaka Deluxe models have rope binding, except for the Centennial Tenor. True, it's delicate, and understated, but it's rope binding nonetheless.

Well, just in case anyone is thinking that rope binding is somehow a lesser finish than abalone or some other material, let me point out that all of my Kamaka Deluxe models have rope binding, except for the Centennial Tenor. True, it's delicate, and understated, but it's rope binding nonetheless.

Not a lesser finish for sure! Done right, it's very beautiful.

I love my Mainland Mango and don’t care one way or the other.

Sorry, I’m not a fan!

I love my Mainland Mango and don’t care one way or the other.

+1 on the Mainland Mango. Beautiful uke.

I'm in the love it camp. I find it aesthetically very pleasing but I can understand why some don't.

Opinions, impressions, thrown rotten eggs and tomatoes welcome!

89 votes, and 46% report a dislike for rope binding. I don't have enough rotten eggs OR tomatoes!

Just to point out - on a Kamaka deluxe (I have one) it is actually Rosewood binding with rope purfling - it is not rope binding :)

Just to point out - on a Kamaka deluxe (I have one) it is actually Rosewood binding with rope purfling - it is not rope binding :)
Interesting point. Until some of the pictures on this thread I'd never noticed rope binding before and didn't realize it was a thing - I'd only noticed rope as purfling! (auto-incorrect suggests "purpling" - would that be a rope of purple-heart and maple?)

To the point of the thread, I'm not a fan of most in-your-face rope and nixed several otherwise good options from my shopping list because of it. That was all online options - I think it doesn't photograph well (or at least easily) and I've liked it better in person than in pictures.

I'm not a fan of most in-your-face rope and nixed several otherwise good options from my shopping list because of it. That was all online options - I think it doesn't photograph well (or at least easily) and I've liked it better in person than in pictures.

I think you've touched on something there. Earlier in the thread I posted an internet picture of the Ohana CK-42 whose binding appears to be a lot lighter than the one I own. I tried taking pictures of my actual uke and the rope binding comes out a lot lighter in the picture than it appears in real life. I like the look in real life more than I do its look in pictures.

When I started getting into ukes I fell in love with the look of the red cedar Mainland except for the rope binding and the rope logo. I just couldn't get past it, it was just too in your face of a look so I rejected it and other Mainlands. Ironically, my first all-solid uke was the Ohana CK-42 which is identical to the Mainland except for the wood choice and the logo on the headstock. I think Mainlands are re-labeled Ohanas or at least they are made the same way side by side in the same factory. In person, the rope binding on my Ohana isn't as bold as the rope binding appears on Mainlands. I think the brown of the sinker redwood, the dark rosewood and the tan/cream colored binding makes the black and tan/cream rope binding look a bit more subtle and acceptable to me. (Though it's approaching the line. I don't love it but it works for me.)

Not a fan. I personally like a plain looking (but good sounding!) instrument.

Not a fan. I personally like a plain looking (but good sounding!) instrument.

:agree:

I quite like plain binding though, for its functional purpose, but I dislike bling. Mainland has been mentioned, perhaps I should have put the issue to one side - perhaps I might be able to be more pragmatic in the future - but I held off biding on a nice enough Mainland because the rope binding was just too OTT for me.

Last edited:
I like the materials to speak for themselves. Unnecessary decoration isn't my thing.....

Apart from the ones I own that have lots of unnecessary decoration.

I generally dislike it, but I could be persuaded to overlook it if a uke sounded good and the price was right. Whereas there are some laser-etched designs that I would be unable to make myself appear in public with, they just look that tacky to me.

Top Bottom