Am I the only one who dislikes rope binding?

Do you like rope binding?

• Yes, love it!

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I dislike rope binding.

Votes: 59 45.4%
  • I am neutral towards rope binding. I neither lover or hate it.

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters
Is rope binding always black and white ?
That´s what puts me off.
Reminiscent of gents toilets and street furniture.
My new Islander soprano, (arrived today) has lovely abalone edging that the sun shines through.
Nothing warm about black and white.

Not always. My Pono tenor has a subtle cream and black thin rope binding. It may even be a light wood (e.g., maple) and black.

I love rope bindings and the old-time vibe. I have the Mainland tenor pictured upthread. (It can also be purchased without the rope binding.) My Mele soprano rope binding is more subtle and it is on the side. (Pic is from the Mele site.)

I also have some totally plain ukes such as my Brueko maple, which I have been asked more than once if it is from an unfinished "kit".

Once I am playing, it makes no real difference to me.

Attachments

• mele  side.jpg
    mele side.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
To me its a package deal quality, craftsmanship, sound, aesthetic.....it the package works great......if not then I don't like it.... I've seen some rope binding that looks really nice and then some that I've seen and wt......really ugly......but so much is personal preference......play what you want to play....rope binding or not....

I'm kinda neutral about it. I do favor the smaller sized binding over the larger, almost gaudy size. I don't have one, because I probably can't have a chamfered arm rest with it.

I love it. I don't have any ukes with rope binding, but I do have a tiple with herringbone that looks a lot like rope binding. Ilike it a lot.
Tiple upstairs.jpg

I've never thought about it from a critical point of view, but I guess I do like it as two of my three ukuleles has rope binding.

Is rope binding always black and white ?
That´s what puts me off.
Reminiscent of gents toilets and street furniture.
My new Islander soprano, (arrived today) has lovely abalone edging that the sun shines through.
Nothing warm about black and white.

UkerDanno's pic above isn't black and white, and looks gorgeous, imo. I agree that black and white rope seems too harsh for wood tones. And it depends on the width of the rope as well. With strong contrast such as black and white, narrower rope is in better proportion.

In general, I don't care for it. Especially the high contrast dark/light versions.

I did see an instrument recently that had Dark/Medium rope that was rather nice. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand.

A rope rosette can be very nice, but can be over done.

Mostly, I guess I don't like them because the uke becomes too busy. Too much going on. I also think it detracts from the woods used in the body.

This is a rescue I call Hot Rod Regal. Shows what minimal roping does. Red runs through this one from the Redwood soundboard The red strings (KALA Reds) on the back head and neck I used glass polishing rouge as pore filler.Hot Rod Regal angle.jpg

I am in the "It depends..." camp. I have seen examples that I felt were too in your face, and was sure I would not want rope binding when I started shopping for my starter uke replacement. But I ended up with an Ohana with light wood and smaller more subtle rope binding and I think it really enhances the look of the uke. I just love my new uke. So, there ya go... it depends!

I happen to really like rope binding. In fact, a few years back I saw one of the National Reso Koa Concerts with rope binding top and bottom, and all around the fretboard. It was love at first sight! Then I started searching for one. I called the factory, i called all the dealers, I searched high and low online, ....nothing. It simply wasn't to be had. So, I put a tickler on my eBay and Reverb accounts, and waited. And waited, and waited, and ....well you get the picture. Then, out of the blue, I received an unsolicited email from a musical instrument seller listing one of the National Koa models. I couldn't believe it. So, I immediately called and spoke to the sales clerk who assured me that it was actually there. He had it in his hands. And now, I have it in my hands. It is a sweet instrument. The rope binding looks even better to me in person than it did in the picture. I'm definitely a happy camper.
Rope Binding.jpg

And that's an "in your face" rope binding. Can't miss it!

I happen to really like rope binding. In fact, a few years back I saw one of the National Reso Koa Concerts with rope binding top and bottom, and all around the fretboard. It was love at first sight! Then I started searching for one. I called the factory, i called all the dealers, I searched high and low online, ....nothing. It simply wasn't to be had. So, I put a tickler on my eBay and Reverb accounts, and waited. And waited, and waited, and ....well you get the picture. Then, out of the blue, I received an unsolicited email from a musical instrument seller listing one of the National Koa models. I couldn't believe it. So, I immediately called and spoke to the sales clerk who assured me that it was actually there. He had it in his hands. And now, I have it in my hands. It is a sweet instrument. The rope binding looks even better to me in person than it did in the picture. I'm definitely a happy camper.
View attachment 126918

That is pretty! I love rope binding

Here's one I like with rope binding:

nunesbirdwire.jpg

After seeing the revived Bird on a Wire thread in the marketplace, I went over to take a look at the website. Looking through the gallery, this Nunes style tenor was my favorite, rope binding and all. Even though I tend to prefer no rope binding on most ukes, it works for this kind of design.

I love my two Ohanas with rope binding, the SK 28 and 50 WG. The 28 is an homage to the Nunes style, so of course the binding is prominent. The 50 is just a great player. It could be a hideous looker but it plays like a dream. It isn’t at all hideous, imo.

I hated rope binding for years, but now I’m in the “sometimes it’s okay and maybe exactly what makes the uke special” group. It’s absolutely perfect for my new Beansprout.

Last edited:
I hated rope binding for years, but now I’m in the “sometimes it’s okay and maybe exactly what makes the uke special” group. It’s absolutely perfect for my new Beansprout.

I just don't like "bling" ... and for me, that would encompass rope binding. However, if, like Kvehe, I had been fortunate enough to acquire a Beansprout, then I might be persuaded to change my mind!

I’m just wondering if rope binding made from scratch is like the pinnacle of luthier craftsmanship despite the fact that most of us or half of us hate it.

View attachment 126918

That's gorgeous on that uke!

Top Bottom