Thread: Fire door workbench top?

Default Fire door workbench top?

Hi folks, has anyone use a fire door as a workbench top? I have an old workbench frame which is solid enough and my uncle suggested it to me, he has one I can use. It's not solid wood apparently veneer with honeycomb core. It's heavy and seems fairly flat apart from a few slight bumps towards edges.
    I'm thinking it's a bad idea as I wanted something to hand plane tops/backs/sides to thickness and should maybe invest in a solid oak worktop, obviously these aren't cheap so I'd rather not but just thought I'd ask if anyone else has used a fire door.

Cheers

give it a try. I use three layers of 19mm chipboard screwed together for my bench top and works fine. If top gets damaged I can flip the top sheet and when that is done i just replace the top layer. Screws are well countersunk and you don't need many, just enough to stop top sheet moving about. Solid timer tops are nice to have but have their own issues with timber movement and damage.

I've rigged up a fire door as a bench after building a base for it. It's heavy and inside it's laminated with strips of solid wood. The bench is very stable, and doesn't move around when planing for example. The fire door idea came from Pete Howlett, who uses them himself. Go for it.

I used a door for a bench in my other house. Flat and I built RC airplanes onit.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I should give it a go. My bench frame is for 4ftx2ft but the door is 2m wide, guess I'll add some support either side but as its not a solid wood door hopefully shouldn't be an issue.
    Other option is a kitchen worktop, plenty of these around reasonably cheap. Will try the door and take it from there. Cheers

Absolutely. Get a 45 minute rated solid core. You can purchase them in a variety of widths and lengths in the UK. I have used the hollow core and now use 8' x 3' x 1.75" 'blanks' bought from Huws Gray our local builders suppliers. These are solid core - essential for screwing threaded inserts into for sanding fixtures and the like.

Thread Information