Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Nylon Ukulele Strings

Default All Nylon Ukulele Strings

I am having some rash problems with my fingers and I have reason to believe it may be caused by medal in the strings. Is there strings on the market for baritone and tenor that are all non-metal type? String sets that come with Low G. Your recommendations for strings would be appreciated. I like warm mellow type sounds. Thank you.

Pretty sure the Aquila Nylguts are non-metallic. This pic is from the Strings by Mail website.

20200501_133351.jpg
    John

Yes there are many sets. You are looking for "unwound" low G strings. Metal is in the wound strings. Unwound are like the other three except with a larger diameter.

No, Aquila strings have metal wound strings whether it be low G or DGBE strings. The only brands I know that don't have wound strings for lower tuning strings are Worth and Living Water whose strings are all fluorocarbon. I'm sure there are other similar brands that do fluorocarbon strings without wound low G or DGBE but those two are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Unwound means plain just like unthaw is freeze. Aquila red low G I think has copper powder in it but that may have very little exposure at the surface. I don't think that there are plain nylon low G strings as they would have to be very thick to reach sufficient mass.
    Last edited by merlin666; 05-01-2020 at 10:15 AM.

They are out there. I bought "Luthier" brand strings from Strings by Mail which are all fluorocarbon. I'm not sure who else would sell that brand, but I'm sure there are other brands which are all fluoro or maybe all nylon.
    Glenn

Yeah, you want Living Water. Be aware that the low G and especially low D on baritone are much thicker than the wound counterparts so you may need to widen the nut slots to accommodate.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

A day or two before I thought of this post I ordered two sets of Martin Ukulele Strings from Lazada.com, a mail order company servicing Thailand. I ordered Martin 630 ukulele strings with low G. I thought I would give the Martin Strings a try and see how they sound. Now I want information on them about thickness of strings and is the low G string wound but I cannot seem to find this information on google search. Has anyone used these before and know anything about them? They will not be delivered until about 20 May.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    A day or two before I thought of this post I ordered two sets of Martin Ukulele Strings from Lazada.com, a mail order company servicing Thailand. I ordered Martin 630 ukulele strings with low G. I thought I would give the Martin Strings a try and see how they sound. Now I want information on them about thickness of strings and is the low G string wound but I cannot seem to find this information on google search. Has anyone used these before and know anything about them? They will not be delivered until about 20 May.
    The Martins come with a wound Low D, and may even have a wound Low G (Not 100% certain on that, my memory is fuzzy on that). The Tenor set is high G, M620, and is all flourocarbon...no wound strings.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

In my post above about ordering Martin Strings. I mentioned a low G string. I meant a low D string. I think I need to learn the proper wording for different strings. Going from Low G on one instrument and Low D on my baritone I get confused when talking/typing. I have tried high G strings on my Tenor Ukulele and a ukulele I recently received a Kmise Baritone that is strung high G, C E A. I am just not a high G string person. I want all of my ukuleles to be DGBE. Maybe a Low G on a GCEA tuned ukulele would be OK, however, I just cannot get use to that high G. I play mostly chord melodies and finger pick. For strumming the high G is not too bad.

Thread Information