Maui Music Concert 1996 Model - Buying Advise Needed for Beginner

daphantom99

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to check with this board to get some feedback on this particular Maui Music Ukulele 1996 (Pre-fire). Is this KOA wood color normal, because I've only seen them in browner shade and if this is worth buying.

maui music.jpg

Well, don't think anyone here can help much with what you've given us to go on. Little things like price, size, condition, make a lot of difference. But, even with what you've told us, I can give you one piece of advice. Don't sweat it. If you like the way it looks, feels, sounds, and don't see any obvious damage on it, then buy it. Of course, look on eBay completed sales, and at listings on Reverb to get an idea of prices. You're buying a Ukulele, not an antique. So don't over pay. Now here's the advice part: You buy this and live with it for a while. If you like playing the Ukulele, you will buy LOTS of them in the years to come. So, this first purchase is not such a big deal. If you don't like playing the Ukulele, then keep it, give it away, sell it, whatever. You've tried it out and don't like it. And that's OK too.

Hi, It's a little difficult to judge the color in the photo. The color balance of the photo seems to be shifted a little red.

Koa wood can be anything from blonde to brown to a reddish brown. And even a dark brown. With lots of stripey grain to fairly uniform color.

The usually dark brown or black fretboard also looks kind of purple/brown in the photo.

From the photo it looks as though there might be a couple of small dings on the edge of the body. And some scratches on the top. (The soundboard.) Hopefully the owner mentioned any imperfections.

The most important things are how does it sound and how does it play?

Top Bottom