Pineapples: Ohana pkc-25g or Pono MGCP?

lowings

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to get a concert pineapple uke. Trying to decide between Ohana solid mahogany and Pono mango... the Pono is quite a bit more expensive and would be a splurge but it sounds really nice from what I can tell. I hear they are quality instruments but not sure about potentially thick neck as I am a small person with small hands.

Ohana one looks nice, has the cute pineapple headstock, and also seems to sound quite good if maybe not as sweet a tone as the Pono. More affordable for sure, would order from Mim. She seems not to be a fan of Ponos.

Any thoughts?

I haven't tried the Ohana but I noodled for a bit on the Pono Mango pineapple at HMS and it was well made, handsome and sounded great, albeit the mango figure is on the plain side (almost like straight grain mahogany). Personally I wouldn't buy it as the neck is too small and broomstick like for comfort. I prefer a wider and thicker neck, like the necks on the Kala Elite series. However, if you like the small round neck profile, it's certainly a sweet instrument.

I love Pono, though I haven't tried their pineapple. It would be my choice, I think. Some mangoes are figured more nicely than others.Who is selling that one? Will they do a proper set-up?

I have 3 Ohana solid mahogany ukes - not one Pono, (as I don't think they are worth the money, compared to other makes).

So, I may be a bit biased, but I'd get the Ohana. :) :music:

I love Pono, though I haven't tried their pineapple. It would be my choice, I think. Some mangoes are figured more nicely than others.Who is selling that one? Will they do a proper set-up?

There are a couple on the Ukulele Site. There is a full or expedited setup option.

I have 3 Ohana solid mahogany ukes - not one Pono, (as I don't think they are worth the money, compared to other makes).

So, I may be a bit biased, but I'd get the Ohana. :) :music:

Thanks for the input. I am leaning Ohana right now, mainly because of cost and Mim :)

Yeah, I keep seeing the necks on Ponos are unusual. Wish I could try one out, I have no idea if that would be a deal breaker or not.

Thanks for the input. I am leaning Ohana right now, mainly because of cost and Mim :)
Ordering from Mim is a bit of a crap shoot nowadays. Why? Because Mim personally does all set-ups on the ukes she sells. Therefore, Mim has placed a weekly limit on the number of orders she accepts. Each weekly limit starts on Sunday. On Sunday, 5/3/2020, her weekly orders maxed out after only 6 hours. Her website, as of 5/5/2020 states:
Weekly Order Cap : 100%
So... last week I was all shocked and blessed to fill my orders up in 12 hours. And the universe decided this week to half it. 6 hours. I hit cap in 6 hours. And I wish I could keep my listings up where you guys could at least window shop, but Reverb does not have something like that in place because they do not have anyone quite like me. I am blessed, I am thankful. But now I must be dark while I fill orders. If this is an ukulele emergency, mim@mimsukes.com .

Ergo, to order from Mim, as the situation now stands, you will have to submit your order EARLY on a Sunday. (By the way, set-ups at HMS are free, as are those at Mim's.)

Last edited:
Hi all, I am looking to get a concert pineapple uke. Trying to decide between Ohana solid mahogany and Pono mango... the Pono is quite a bit more expensive and would be a splurge but it sounds really nice from what I can tell. I hear they are quality instruments but not sure about potentially thick neck as I am a small person with small hands.

Ohana one looks nice, has the cute pineapple headstock, and also seems to sound quite good if maybe not as sweet a tone as the Pono. More affordable for sure, would order from Mim. She seems not to be a fan of Ponos.

Any thoughts?

I’m not sure why you would think that Mim isn’t a fan of Ponos but would suggest to you that there are limits to the number of brands - and Ukes - that she can stock and the amount of capital she might want to tie up in stock in general and any individual instrument. From what I can see she tends to focus on Ohana, she will have her reasons and that ‘partnership’ seems to have worked well for her.

If you wanted the Ohana and couldn’t place an order with Mim (her order book fills up) then there are other recommended suppliers from who you can buy with justified confidence. Alternatively someone local to you and recommenced by knowledgeable club mates might be able to set a Uke up for you.

As for Ohana v Pono that’s a simple one for me. Unless you clearly know that the Pono ticks your boxes then go for the Ohana. Whilst I’m a Kala fan myself Ohana sell good instruments at (when discounted) realistic prices, they are popular for good reasons, they sound fine and it’s likely that you’ll be happy with one indefinitely; if you end up wanting something else then the Ohana will sell on easy enough and any financial loss won’t be that painful.

TLDR. The Ohana will do the job for you and be easy on your finances.

Last edited:
after "going dark", Mim's shop opens back up on Fridays at approx 8am edt. if you wait until Sunday to order you'll likely find a closed store and the cap reached msg (at least based on the last few weeks). it's all explained on the order-cap webpage, linked on the dark storefront

after "going dark", Mim's shop opens back up on Fridays at approx 8am edt. if you wait until Sunday to order you'll likely find a closed store and the cap reached msg (at least based on the last few weeks). it's all explained on the order-cap webpage, linked on the dark storefront

Thanks for mentioning this, checked her site and I am planning to make an order early Friday. Even if I miss the window, I'm not in a huge rush. Shipping from HI would take a long time as well.

The Ukulele Site (HMS) is very backlogged right now with set-ups. Mim reached her weekly max in six hours last Friday. Just an fyi.

The Ukulele Site (HMS) is very backlogged right now with set-ups. Mim reached her weekly max in six hours last Friday. Just an fyi.

Everyone is buying ukes! Haha. Luckily I was able to place an order with Mim before she closes up shop for the week :)

and there you have it folks, cap reached, store dark...see ya next week!

Last edited:
Everyone is buying ukes! Haha. Luckily I was able to place an order with Mim before she closes up shop for the week :)

Good for you! I was perusing her stock this morning, and by this afternoon the one I was looking at sold and her site closed up. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom