Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU# 429 ~ "Songs Of Grief & Loss / Artists No Longer With Us"

Default SOTU# 429 ~ "Songs Of Grief & Loss / Artists No Longer With Us"

Howdy fellow friends and seasonistas!

I recently received the devastating news that my cat Panda is terminally ill! It’s a sobering reminder of how fleeting life is. Obviously a lot of people around the world are dealing with the unexpected loss of a loved one due to the pandemic as well, so I think it’s a fitting theme on many levels. Before receiving this news, I had been considering doing a season featuring artists gone before their time or too soon. So, in order to keep it from being too serious, i’ve decided to combine these two ideas for this weeks theme. So this week please bring songs that:

1. Deal with loss; it could be the loss of a loved one, or the loss of a lover or the loss of a friendship. It does not have to include death. Loss and grief come in many forms and we all process these experiences in our own way. Heck, it could even be about the loss of or by your favorite sports team, or tv series etc. I generally live outside the box and would encourage everyone to think as broadly as you’d like to make this theme fit either an existing song or a song you have or will write.

2. Are written or performed by artists no longer with us. I considered putting a time limit on this, but would prefer to make this as inclusive as possible. So any artist who is no longer living is fair game. If you can bring songs by artists no longer with us that address loss or grief that would get you bonus points (If I were keeping score)

3) Finally, it's my birthday this week, and so any songs that celebrate or mention birthdays are also welcome.

Many of the normal rules apply:

~ The season starts at 12:00 am Sunday May 3rd, and ends at midnight Sunday May 10th.
    ~ Songs should be newly recorded for this week, and should mention SOTU#429.
    ~ Original songs are welcome and can either deal with grief or loss, or be about artists no longer with us.
    ~ There is no song limit this week. Bring ‘em on . . .

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWel...iNL_2EJyNDGkrb

Thanks and I look forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with this week. I’ll start a playlist above once the videos starting coming in.

~ kev ~
    Last edited by Mezcalero; 05-03-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Add Playlist
    Talk less, play more . . . .

Thanks Kev - pretty wide open. should be a good season.
    If EVERYONE played the UKULELE, the WORLD would be a BETTER place! ~ Jake Shimabukuro

FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Yes, indeed, Kev ... pretty wide open; room for gloom and cheer both! Splendid theme for the week! (So VERY sorry to hear about your cat ... we are in the same boat now with our dog.) And HAPPY BIRTHDAY for whenever it is!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

All my favourite artists are dead! Should be a good theme, hopefully I can bring something.

Sorry to hear about your cat too Kevin.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Shouting Into a Tin Can EP on Soundcloud now!

Oh, Kev ... it's your birthday TODAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

a David Olney song

Please don't bury me by John Prine.
    Irreverent look at death.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

I hardly know what day of the week it is or what time of any given day it is these days. I see the season has officially started though, and already a couple of fine entries. I'm adding one myself, that I just finished working on. Cheers ~

Talk less, play more . . . .

A long gone artist and a somewhat mysterious song with allusions to loss.
    Thanks for the theme Kev-I like , If I had time I would be doing a lot of songs.

One of the most beautifal laments ever written is Dido's Lament "When I am laid in earth" from Dido & Aneas. Here is a performance by Emma Kirkby. The descending bass line at the beginning is something else. I missed a chance to sing in a scratch version of Dido & Aneas earlier this year. I didn't feel I had the energy & getting to the venue was a bit of a problem.
    Last edited by Tootler; 05-03-2020 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Correct typo
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thread Information