Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU# 429 ~ "Songs Of Grief & Loss / Artists No Longer With Us"

the telephone call - Kraftwerk song - no ring no answer

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyV View Post
    This is not an entry for the Season, I just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! And thank you for hosting this week.

Love that Better with Age song.

Hey!

Here's my first SOTU submission. Please excuse the poor video/audio quality. All I have to work with is a webcam, and I don't know how to video edit yet. :P

https://youtu.be/CoGV7qLv2Cg
    Last edited by KimiAustin; 05-07-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkSteve View Post
    Loving the cat photos too. We have a dog, but deep down I am more of a cat person - I grew up with one which just wandered in from a house down the road, and stayed for nearly eighteen years.

But changing the subject, that curse has struck AGAIN - Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk has died, age 73. And no, I am not going to do Autobahn. Do you think we should end this Season now, before we lose a Beatle or a couple of Rolling Stones?
    Wow! We lost John Prine and Bill Withers in Andy's recent season. This is a disturbing trend for sure! Not surprised to see that Brian has already found and recorded a Kraftwerk song ~
    Talk less, play more . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by KimiAustin View Post
    Hey!

Here's my first SOTU submission. Please excuse the poor video/audio quality. All I have to work with is a webcam, and I don't know how to video edit yet. :P

welcome to the seasons!
    lynda

acid skiffle

Welcome Kimi, so happy to see you sort out where we are and get a song posted up so quickly! Kimi's a nurse boys and girls, so hat's off to her for being on the front lines of our nations efforts to control the pandemic ~

Kimi is a friend of mine here in Houston from the local meetups. She and her daughter are very talented. I mentioned this SOTU forum to her, and she looked it up, signed up, recorded, and posted her video the same day

Quote Originally Posted by KimiAustin View Post
    Hey!

Last edited by Mezcalero; 05-07-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Happy belated birthday Kevin. I am sorry to learn of your cat's illness. Damn if those furry friends don't just crawl into your heart and become part of you.

I learned of Daniel Johnston the way I bet a lot of other Gen X-ers learned about him... Kurt Cobain wore a t-shirt featuring Daniel's original artwork from the cover of his album "Hi, How Are You". Turns out Daniel was like a god father of lo-fi, and he has influenced a ton of bands that I really like. He passed this past September of a suspected heart attack at age 58, after a life time of battling mental health issues.

I am also mourning another loss, though much less devastating in the grand scheme of things. I will be conducting field work next week that cannot be put off any longer. Unfortunately, due to COVID19 precautions all of us going had to be checked out and certified to use tight fitting respirators (for emergency use only if we can't keep our 2 m of distance). Turns out you can't get a tight fit if you have a beard. Oh well, hopefully when it grows back it won't be much more grayer than it was starting to get.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Pavement View Post

I am also mourning another loss, though much less devastating in the grand scheme of things. I will be conducting field work next week that cannot be put off any longer. Unfortunately, due to COVID19 precautions all of us going had to be checked out and certified to use tight fitting respirators (for emergency use only if we can't keep our 2 m of distance). Turns out you can't get a tight fit if you have a beard. Oh well, hopefully when it grows back it won't be much more grayer than it was starting to get.
    Tragic news, Andy!!!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

another Guy Clark song - turned out a bit loud so you may need to volume down a little
    Last edited by pabrizzer; 05-07-2020 at 09:01 PM.

So this is my 2nd friend from Houston's ukulele community to bring a video for the first time this week! His name is Marc Hinchey, and he has appeared in a few of my live collaboration videos, and he's joined us the last two Saturdays for Steve's open mic zoom hangouts. But this is his first solo effort. Unfortunately he's had trouble getting registered, so he's asked me to post up his video for him. It's a real pleasure to have you join us Marc! His comments are below:

“Black Muddy River” was written by Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia in 1985 and appeared on the Grateful Dead’s album “In The Dark.” Hunter once remarked that the song is about walking alongside the river of death but singing your own song and facing whatever is on the other side. “It’s a bit like whistling in the dark,” he said. Hunter passed away last year. He is considered to be one of the finest lyricists ever. Legendary guitarist Garcia wrote the music. Jerry died in 1995.

Thread Information