SOTU# 429 ~ "Songs Of Grief & Loss / Artists No Longer With Us"

so beautiful Kev.
this is turning into a very special week in a number of ways.
i remember playing this for my dad once. i was sitting in my car in some pharmacy car park waiting for him to come out of a therapy appointment. it was November 2016 when we knew things were bad. i helped him back across the street to the car, he was in a lot of pain. unfortunately that video is no more so i recorded the song again today. i miss him so much.
a Warren Zevon song.

Up to 59 entries at last count boys and girls and kiddos and cats and dogs and rabbits! Thanks again to everyone who's joined in so far this week! I couldn't be happier with how things have gone!

It's becoming just a bit comical to me how I can look at a season 4-5 weeks away and confidently choose it, thinking it should be a week without any major things happening in my life. And every time when that week arrives, chaos ensues all around me :) That said, instead of being a burden, hosting this week has really been a blessing for me. If, you haven't tried it, I highly recommend giving it a go. It can be terrifying the first, and 2nd and 4th times . . . But in my experience, it's always been fantastic!

Enough about me, it's Xing Xing's birthday today. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years since I witnessed the miracle of her mother, and Panda's lover, giving birth. As many of you have pointed out, these furry little things crawl into our hearts and become family! I tend to "Let the Mystery Be" But some things sure do seem to happen for reasons beyond my understanding! I am thankful to have had Panda in my life these last 5 1/2 years and his daughter Xing Xing for last 5 ~

IMG_1747.jpgIMG_1717.jpgIMG_2338.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_1290.jpg

the telephone call - Kraftwerk song - no ring no answer

Ha,the title or your comment puts me in mind of a Jimmy Buffet song title "If The Phone Doesn't Ring It's Me "

Nothing fancy here, Just a quick grab of the baby uke and a belting out of a choon by a much loved artist of mine...…..

Last edited:
Right, I decided to get on the Prince train after Chris inspired me. And decided to go hard or go home. For a song that's basically one riff all the way through this was hard work. Gave me an opportunity to dust off my Hello Kitty keyboard for the first time in a while and I actually managed to play chords on it!

Hello yet again, Kev! I wasn't intending to do any more this week, but then I came across this wonderful film of 1909 from The Swedish Film Institute and this song suggested itself. "My Guy" was a hit in 1964 for Mary Wells, who left us in 1992. Rather confusingly, the "guy" in the film, is - as you can tell from the jutting bosom - played by a woman (named Rosa.) The woman is played by a man called Fred! (No, I jest, the woman is actually played by a woman, called Emma.) I have no idea what the story behind this strange pairing is ... perhaps they were a real-life couple or perhaps there just weren't any men available. Thanks for a fun week, Kev!

Last edited:
Welcome Kimi, so happy to see you sort out where we are and get a song posted up so quickly! Kimi's a nurse boys and girls, so hat's off to her for being on the front lines of our nations efforts to control the pandemic ~

Kimi is a friend of mine here in Houston from the local meetups. She and her daughter are very talented. I mentioned this SOTU forum to her, and she looked it up, signed up, recorded, and posted her video the same day :)

Thanks Kev! I actually did all that after working 12 hours. Lots of overtime during this pandemic.

Taking a cue from previous hosts, Geoff is the most recent that comes to mind, calling host's prerogative and adding a video that wasn't recorded this week. The song does fit the theme :) This one was done not too long before the social distancing kicked in. We were hanging out and warming up for Galveston Mardi Gras were we performed on a float for hundreds of thousands of people. That's one of our newest SOTU members Kimi Austin and her daughter Lydia doing the singing ~

Thank you for this week Kevin. Some weeks I feel like my fingers just won't go where i want them to, other weeks I just feel like I'm on it and the songs flow out and sound how I want them to.. This has been one of those good weeks and that hasn't happened for a little while, so I've had a lot of fun.

Last one from me this week. I've covered dead guys, I've covered grief, so here's one about cats. I'm joined here by two of our " cats", Sprinkles and Roger.

Is there a holy trinity song by a late artist grieving the loss of their favourite feline at all?

This is a song from the Carpenters. Karen Anne Carpenter died in the year 1983 and we lost a really great voice...

I'm so thankful for everyone's participation this week! Panda has gone wherever it is cat's go after they've hopefully lived a full and happy 9 lives! I'm very thankful to have had these last 10 days with him since we got the news he was not well ~

I'm so thankful for everyone's participation this week! Panda has gone wherever it is cat's go after they've hopefully lived a full and happy 9 lives! I'm very thankful to have had these last 10 days with him since we got the news he was not well ~

So sorry to hear that Kevin, but glad that he has brought you so much happiness, and helped to create other little creatures along the way.

On Raglan Road was originally a poem called "Dark Haired Miriam Ran Away." written in the 1940s by Patrick Kavenagh about a relationship he had with a young medical student. During the 1960s he met Luke Kelly of the Dubliners in a Pub in Dublin (where else :) ) and sang it to him to a traditional tune called "The Dawning of the Day". Kelly recorded it. The recording was titled "On Raglan Road" from the opening line of the poem and it has since been recorded by a number of prominent artists both in the folk and pop music world. The song ticks two boxes. Luke Kelly is no longer with us (died 1984 at the age of 44) and it is about regrets at a relationship.

Full story of "On Raglan Road" Here

Commiserations, Kevin. We lost a cat to cancer not so very long ago.

Really sorry to hear that Kev.

Top Bottom