SOTU# 429 ~ "Songs Of Grief & Loss / Artists No Longer With Us"

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Howdy fellow friends and seasonistas!

I recently received the devastating news that my cat Panda is terminally ill! It’s a sobering reminder of how fleeting life is. Obviously a lot of people around the world are dealing with the unexpected loss of a loved one due to the pandemic as well, so I think it’s a fitting theme on many levels. Before receiving this news, I had been considering doing a season featuring artists gone before their time or too soon. So, in order to keep it from being too serious, i’ve decided to combine these two ideas for this weeks theme. So this week please bring songs that:

1. Deal with loss; it could be the loss of a loved one, or the loss of a lover or the loss of a friendship. It does not have to include death. Loss and grief come in many forms and we all process these experiences in our own way. Heck, it could even be about the loss of or by your favorite sports team, or tv series etc. I generally live outside the box and would encourage everyone to think as broadly as you’d like to make this theme fit either an existing song or a song you have or will write.

2. Are written or performed by artists no longer with us. I considered putting a time limit on this, but would prefer to make this as inclusive as possible. So any artist who is no longer living is fair game. If you can bring songs by artists no longer with us that address loss or grief that would get you bonus points (If I were keeping score)

3) Finally, it's my birthday this week, and so any songs that celebrate or mention birthdays are also welcome.

Many of the normal rules apply:

~ The season starts at 12:00 am Sunday May 3rd, and ends at midnight Sunday May 10th.
~ Songs should be newly recorded for this week, and should mention SOTU#429.
~ Original songs are welcome and can either deal with grief or loss, or be about artists no longer with us.
~ There is no song limit this week. Bring ‘em on . . .

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWelwRAhrVc&list=PL5FgrFq3aYVd6ylghFeiNL_2EJyNDGkrb

Thanks and I look forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with this week. I’ll start a playlist above once the videos starting coming in.

~ kev ~

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, Kev ... pretty wide open; room for gloom and cheer both! Splendid theme for the week! (So VERY sorry to hear about your cat ... we are in the same boat now with our dog.) And HAPPY BIRTHDAY for whenever it is!

All my favourite artists are dead! Should be a good theme, hopefully I can bring something.

Sorry to hear about your cat too Kevin.

I hardly know what day of the week it is or what time of any given day it is these days. I see the season has officially started though, and already a couple of fine entries. I'm adding one myself, that I just finished working on. Cheers ~

A long gone artist and a somewhat mysterious song with allusions to loss.
Thanks for the theme Kev-I like , If I had time I would be doing a lot of songs.

One of the most beautifal laments ever written is Dido's Lament "When I am laid in earth" from Dido & Aneas. Here is a performance by Emma Kirkby. The descending bass line at the beginning is something else. I missed a chance to sing in a scratch version of Dido & Aneas earlier this year. I didn't feel I had the energy & getting to the venue was a bit of a problem.

Last edited:
Knocking on your screen door by John Prine.
He once had a family but they up and left him.

Thanks for hosting Kevin, fine theme, pretty much open house. One from the quiet one.

Hey Kev,

So sorry to hear about Panda. We lost three senior pets within about six weeks earlier this year. Give her lots of love. Plenty of scritches. Share some birthday cake with her.

I've been absent the past couple of seasons, helping organize open mics via Zoom for our group. I'm jumping back in here, maybe as early as today. Look forward to what everyone's bringing!

Hello, Kev! Unremitting misery, grief and loss here ... the loss of a bride who jilts the protagonist at the altar, followed by the death of both his parents. I got a bit carried away with the video, which comes via "Wuthering Heights" ...

I hardly know what day of the week it is or what time of any given day it is these days. I see the season has officially started though, and already a couple of fine entries. I'm adding one myself, that I just finished working on. Cheers ~

Beautifully done.

Words by William Myer (solicitor and record company boss), tune by Mississippi John Hurt, although he seems to have pinched it from Jimmie Rodgers' "Waiting for a train"

One of the most beautifal laments ever written is Dido's Lament "When I am laid in earth" from Dido & Aneas. Here is a performance by Emma Kirkby. The descending bass line at the beginning is something else. I missed a chance to sing in a scratch version of Dido & Aneas earlier this year. I didn't feel I had the energy & getting to the venue was a bit of a problem.

Lovely, Geoff! Younger son was in a production of "Dido and Aeneas" when he was in college ... he had to learn how to do "courtly gestures!"

Top Bottom