SOTU# 429 ~ "Songs Of Grief & Loss / Artists No Longer With Us"

Here's the Buddy Holly song picked for Marshall Crenshaw to play at the live performance in the "La Bamba" movie, although reportedly Buddy Holly didn't perform it on that fateful show. Oh well.

This song by Warren Zevon, is from his last album, "The Wind," which he recorded while dying of lung cancer. It hits the criteria of grief, loss, and artists no longer with us, and is, to me, achingly beautiful. RIP Warren Zevon.

In keeping with the spirit of the season, I'm wearing a little league baseball cap which is a humble homage to the long since departed Seattle Rainiers. Or "the Suds" as they were known back in the day. I suppose I should also have put on a Supersonics T-shirt, and perhaps had a TV in the background playing the ill-fated goal line pass attempt and interception that cost the Seahawks the 2015 Super Bowl vs. the Patriots. But, no doubt the saddest Seattle sports story is that of the Seattle Metropolitans and the 1919 Stanley Cup, held during the resurgence of the Spanish flu. See https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/seattles-tragic-stanley-cup-past-is-reawakened-during-sports-discussions-on-coronavirus/

Last edited:
15 virus related deaths at one senior's home in Sydney - the 2nd most recent only 76 - which isn't that old these days - and i see armed protesters in the usa demanding their freedoms - grief and it ain't good

Last edited:
I covered one of Phil Ochs songs last season, and this song of his fits this season perfectly, this is called When I'm Gone.

I never heard from Phil Ochs until Martyn Joseph covered a bunch of his songs on a tribute record, which I highly recommend. This song is also on that.

Thanks for covering, this is my favorite Phil Ochs song. I recommend Thea Gilmore’s cover, too.

Just had a chance to get the playlist up and running and counted 15 songs already, and we're not even officially through day one yet! Fantastic stuff and such a broad variety of artists, styles and songs, as I hoped we might get :) Thanks to everyone for your kind words, and your wonderful videos. Keep 'em coming boys and girls ~

A traditional, covered after Pete Seegar's version.
I played a wide fretboard concert uke that i painted over.
Had a little problem fretting the G on it, and singing the song made me almost cry. My dad's coughing came through too.
But I wanted to do something today and this is it.
Thank you for hosting this week, Kev.
Hope you find some comfort in the songs we play for your week.

A novelty song about loss and a death threat.Big hit for Al Jolson

"They Dance Alone (Cueca Solo)" is a protest song composed by English musician Sting and published first on his 1987 album ...Nothing Like the Sun; The song is a metaphor referring to mourning Chilean women (arpilleristas) who dance the Cueca, the national dance of Chile, alone with photographs of their disappeared loved ones in their hands.

I’ve never been a huge Elvis fan, but when I was 10 or 11 somebody gave me an audio cassette tape (remember them?) of a guy singing Elvis covers. There were a couple of lesser-known songs on there that really hit the spot for me, and this was one of them. I’m still not completely sure if it’s about the imminent death of a lover or of a relationship, but it moved me back then as a kid and it still moves me now. No keyboard additions here - a bit rough and ready, but I did add some vocal harmonies for good measure! Thanks for hosting Kev and for the wide open theme. :)

Hmmm, I might be pushing the boundaries here. This one deals with death, the death of a loved one....but it’s death to come rather than in the past, and it sort of says “We’ll be together when we die”, so not even loss as such. Still, it’s a song I like a lot by Death Cab For Cutie. Am pretty sure Andy (Desert Pavement) did this not so long ago....Almost forgot to say, this is played on Bari (honestly it is, even though you can’t see it :cool:)

Last edited:
If we're doing a theme about dead artists I can only start with David Bowie. This is one of my favourite songs from Hunky Dory, an album that is full to the brim of crackers. Just never fails to put a smile on my face so I decided to spend all afternoon yesterday committing it to memory rather than just playing through it a couple of times and recording with the chord sheet still there as I normally do. I then played it last minute at a virtual open mic only to be rebuked and rightly informed that it was in fact Biff Rose and Paul Williams who wrote it. But in my head it's a Bowie song and I spent a long time on it so I'm posting it.

Wanted to do a simple picture in picture for to include the leads I played on my electric, and then noticed a few other things my video software can do and now I know how it feels to be Joko. Scary thought.

Last edited:
It had to happen. Two days into a Season of those we have lost, and we lose another. Dave Greenfield, keyboards player with The Stanglers since they started 45 years ago, passed away yesterday, from Covid-19.
Here's one that he weaved his keyboard magic all over.

Even the Losers, a Tom Petty cover. RIP Tom....gone but not forgotten. When we did this in our cover band (me on guitar), it was the one TP song that gave us the most trouble rhythmically, so I've changed it up a bit, with a different rhythm that works for me on solo uke.

Last edited:
For Season of the Ukulele 429, Songs of Grief and Loss, here's an original, "In the Sunlight", for baritone ukulele with singing, and overdubs of Ubass, concert ukulele, organ, and secondary vocals. This is one of a number of songs I originally wrote for guitar that I've been reworking for ukulele.

dolores o'riordan, of cranberries fame, died at the beginning of 2018, aged just 46. in 2016 she released an album, "science agrees", as part of the band D.A.R.K., this is one of the songs from it...

"the moon"

Wanted to do a simple picture in picture for to include the leads I played on my electric, and then noticed a few other things my video software can do and now I know how it feels to be Joko. Scary thought.

The watermark is giving away that you are trying out PowerDirector. I remember reading a ton of reviews on different video editors, which really lead me to almost getting it myself.
Since I acquired the Reaper music software and found out that it has a pretty sufficient build in video editor, I kind of paused the process of getting a stand alone video editor. But I am courious to hear your experiences with that editor!

Top Bottom