SOTU# 429 ~ "Songs Of Grief & Loss / Artists No Longer With Us"

The watermark is giving away that you are trying out PowerDirector. I remember reading a ton of reviews on different video editors, which really lead me to almost getting it myself.
Since I acquired the Reaper music software and found out that it has a pretty sufficient build in video editor, I kind of paused the process of getting a stand alone video editor. But I am courious to hear your experiences with that editor!

I use it on my android tablet, normally just to trim and put together a bunch of clips, add basic text etc. At first I couldn't really get my head around the more advanced features but I think it's had an update recently because it's laid out a lot better now and I could access the PIP etc a lot better. I really should get more stuck into it but I don't really have the time. But it allows you to mix audio between clips etc, good library of transitions/filters etc. Just using the free version so there's some restrictions (like the watermark) and I can't export HD but if I found myself using more I would definitely consider paying for the full version.

Hello again, Kev! More proof (if required) that I am inhabiting my own little dream world ... I DO like a bit of Art Deco, though! This song was supposed to fit under the "loss" category, as the woman in it is missing her man. I'm not sure it does, though, as he is obviously intending to return (although, if he doesn't get a move on, I don't fancy his chances!) However, it does, without a doubt, fit into the second option, since, as it dates from 1928, I can state quite categorically that anyone involved in the original production is no longer with us.

I found this one by John Prine who just passed last month.

Enjoy!

I always found this a plaintiff ballad... There is plenty of grief to be found in the lyrics...

Ahoy
Here is an Icelandic song called Kveðja, or Farewell.
The author, Bubbi Morthens, and his wife had a son that passed away during infancy; he then wrote this song to his child. Since the song was published in 2002 it has become almost a psalm and is often sung at funerals in Iceland. This song holds a special place in my heart.
Here is my rendition.

Kev, I am very sorry about Panda...it’s devastating, heartbreaking news and I know, first-hand, how difficult it is to go through something like this. Sending you strength, comfort, and love as you navigate through the situation with Panda — here for you. Seasonista friends — I’ve been a way for a long while, and I have been reflecting upon how happy I was to make music with you all — and how happy I was to make new friends around the world, too. It’s an awesome group of people coming together to share — and I miss this community a great deal! Thought I’d check in today to see what’s new...and, Kev, I saw your theme this week. Would love to share and will be posting an entry. Also, Kev, Happy Birthday, too — wishing you all good things, brother.

You'll be lucky to get me to a sad song or a grievous one ,though I do nearly always murder the ones that I do ,so that's probably okay !! This one is for a member of a band that never really stop rockin'.Rick Parfitt brilliant rhythm guitarist and a driving force behind the driving sound of Status Quo. I flubbed the first solo, of course ...... 'Cos that was Rossi's bit. LOL did some rhythm lead later on...Cheers.

Panda!? What a name for a cat, I love it!!! I'm so sorry to hear of Panda's condition. It's incredible how our little fur friends wiggle their ways into our hearts. I hope you have a wonderful birthday week.

Here's Walls, another one by Tom Petty. I find the final verse particularly moving.

And some things are over
Some things go on
And part of me you carry
Part of me is gone

Hi Liz, I wasn't able to comment on your video, nor was able to add it to the playlist. It seems like it has to do with the the choice you made regarding children's content or something. Let me know if you fix it :) Thanks for bringing such a great John Prine song !

I found this one by John Prine who just passed last

Enjoy!

Perhaps the death and sacrifice of Christ has had more songs written about it than any other death. It is an affront to many, and the mystical significance is lost amidst the clanging cymbals of the modern materialistic age. But Paul said we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles. God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; the Buddha could not have said it better... Christianity is often a zen paradox. Faith bypasses the intellect. Einstein has no more advantage in comprehending this paradox than Lennie the lumbering simpleton in Steinbeck's novel. We all stumble into love if we are blessed.

Here's one from Stereophonics describing annual grief as the anniversary of a death of a friend from suicide approaches. Always wanted to play this song.

I wanted to check in and say thanks to all of you who have taken time to share your well wishes for Panda and to wish me a Happy B-Day! Heck, Lynda even wrote a song for me; where else does that happen :)

With social distancing, many of us have connected here via zoom, or email or one of the many other virtual means available to us these days, and it's really been a joy for me to see you and chat with you in real time! Trent's been a regular, and he's found the way to make me laugh like he always does. Cheers Trent! If you're following this thread, I"m hoping to see you bring one this week as only you can :)

I'm thrilled to see the usual suspects bringing their usual fantastic stuff this week, and I'm really happy to see some faces I personally don't remember seeing as often: Janet, Kurt, Chelle, Liz and Martin Lover (whose name escapes me at the moment) have all checked in to say hi or share videos. A big thanks to you guys for making this week even more special!

As for the videos, there have been some fantastic ones, I believe we're up to around 34 at last count! So many of my favorite lost artists have already been covered: T. Petty, J. Prine, Bowie, Prince, G. Clark, W. Zevon, B. Holly, G. Harrison. And so many great songs as well! I've really enjoyed all of them.

Finally, I dug up some old photos of Panda, hanging out with his daughter Xing Xing :)
IMG_1700.jpgIMG_1701.jpgIMG_1702.jpgIMG_1703.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, since the theme isn't broad enough already right :) After adding a few photos of Panda and his daughter, I thought, why not include songs about cats :) Thanks again to everyone, I hope you and your loved ones are all well ~

A Child ballad. There are many traditional ballads in which remorse is a key element. This very powerful ballad is one of a small number in the British Isles traditions which deal with the great taboo of incest. In this song and in at least one other there does not seem to be a sense of guilt at the act of incest itself but the inevitable consequence of a child being conceived prompts action. In this case the girl asks her brother to shoot her, presumably to save her and/or the family honour. Returning to his Father's home and a lively scene of merriment brings home to the brother the full horror of what they have done.

Top Bottom