Prepare to be Underwhelmed - First Build

mike_tatt

Reaction score
Hi

Here’s my first Ukulele

First - a huge thanks to everyone on this forum whose advice and willingness to share their knowledge has helped me along the way - and some of the builds that people have shared have been inspirational - I have a long way to go - but - I’ve made a start.

P5030612.jpg
P5030613.jpg
P5030614.jpg
P5030617.jpg
P5030618.jpg

More pics on next post

Don’t look too close - This is my first - and I'm seeing this as my prototype.

The Ukulele has had lots of major surgeries and fixes to correct my errors on the way - the most obvious sign is the rosewood piece in front of the bridge where I masked out on the wrong side of my mark for the bridge when french polishing - I could’t face stripping back to re-polish - measure twice cut once ! ! or in this case - measure about 20 times - and still bugger up - I could have cried lol

There is certainly room for improvement - But the best way to learn - try it - if it goes wrong - fix it - and understand what went wrong in the first place - then of course try to remember not to make the same mistake in future.

This is a plain little thing but I’m chuffed that I’ve managed to build something that makes a decent sound.

Wood:

Engleman Spruce top - 1.8mm thick
Mahogany Back and sides - 2.2mm thick
Sapele neck - single piece
Fretboard, Binding and Bridge are Rosewood
Fret dots from a piece of local oak
Nut and bridge are from a corian off cut

Finish:

French polish all round. The neck has only a couple of coats to ring out the grain and I rubbed back with wire wool to keep it smooth so it's not too ‘grabby’
I wanted a decent shine - but tried to keep the texture of the wood
I also wanted an antique tone - so there are a couple of coats of 2LB button shellac to add some depth.

There are a few scratches already - As we had a visit from our lovely 3 year old granddaughter who took a liking to it and dragged it around the garden whilst strumming and singing - difficult to get it back whilst keeping a 2 metre lockdown distance…….

Neck:

Is a bit wider than modern ones - I have a 1930’s Spanish soprano - it sounds like an old windup gramophone - it’s more of a decorative piece so doesn’t get much play time. - but I like the wide neck - the extra space extra space seems to make up for the narrow frets
My only ‘real’ ukulele is a Kala tenor and I like the tone etc but the neck is a bit tight for my tastes - hence trying out a slightly wider form.

Strings:

Cheap fluorocarbons from eBay. - they sound okay - but I'll try some alternatives when money permits.

First impressions

I like the tone - it has loads of resonance and sounds bright, the neck width is spot on for me, it does seem a tiny bit top heavy which might because of the tuners so in future might try friction pegs.

Design:

I've come up with my own design - I wanted to see if was possible to design the body using a compass (well - a circle tool in Illustrator)
I'm putting this together into a real plan - that's going to take some time - if I get time to do it - I'll gladly share

See it in Action:

A quick vid clip is here - please excuse a few things:

1. The lockdown hair - I’m in desperate need of the barbers ! !
2. Background noise - it’s very rural here and the birds are going mental at this time of year - and the sodding dog across the village was having a yap.
3. The crap playing - I’ve only been playing for a few months - and I usually play a Tenor so the lower tension strings take a bit of getting used to -
4. This is literally the first playing - so just trying out for size - since then - I’ve unstrung - adjusted the nut and bridge to fix the intonation - and the insanely buzzing ‘C’ -
Tidied the fret ends so they're smoother and levelled a fret wire and lowered the action - setting up is a bit (lot!!) of a mystery - but I think I'm working it out.

https://youtu.be/IBk6hgKNGxM

As mentioned this is my ‘prototype’ -and it’s mostly been built in the garden with second hand - hand tools - living in the NW UK - has meant that progress has sometimes been slow - we are not blessed with the finest of weather.

I have a corner of a summerhouse to call my own now - which has meant that I’ve been able to finish this first one without getting frostbite or being rained on - also I can now join in the ‘What’s Happening in My Shed’ thread :) - and I’ve treated myself to a new fretsaw, a new chisel - and Oh joy - a router - no more cutting binding channels by hand - things are hotting up.

I’m building three instruments side by side - this one as a test piece to work out what to do - and two more which should be better all round - they are going to be gifts - so I’ve saved the best wood for them and have (hopefully) made my mistakes with this one.

Thanks again every one for your inspirations

Cheers
Mike

I am not a woodworker, so I can't really comment on scarp joints or whatever skilled people talk about, but I wanted to send some positive vibes your way. It is an achievement and you should be happy with time you've invested.

Well done. I've built several ukes, and I'm still making what I call "unforced errors" that have to be fixed. My wife tells me all the time "Don't be so hard on yourself". I think we are our own worst critics.

Hi Mike, living in the nwuk myself I understand the frustrations of building whenever the weather allows it. However, it is an excellent first build, and what's more it sounds sweet. You must be pleased.
cheers Mike.

Mike, your uke looks great! I can't see a thing wrong with it. I'll bet it sounds good, too.
And....the next one will be even better!
Keep it up.

Hey Mike,

Very well done!!

Anyone who has completed an instrument will appreciate the commitment it takes to build remotely without face-to-face tutelage and instruction, so I suspect that no one here is likely to be at all 'underwhelmed'.
The lack of facilities for the build further adds to the depth of your achievement.
Enjoy the satisfaction of playing your new creation, then hand it over to another player …. stand back a few metres and appreciate it as an audience. I like that bit the most.
Subsequent builds may not be any easier, but they should become less stressful.

From the video: The uke and your playing are very nice, the birds are struggling to keep time, and the village mutt needs some serious vocal training.

That one is a lot better than my first build :cheers:
Its been 11 years ago as a young 69 year old since I built my first uke..I did it with hand tools also...it now hangs on the wall and hardly ever gets played.
since then I have built hundreds and i've got more tools and jigs than your average factory :) ...and i'm still not completely happy with any of e'm...the next one will be better (I hope)

Thanks for the positive feedback and vibes ( cheers @RipoCk) , it's really is very much appreciated.

It's been a challenge to get my head around the details of how to build - but for me that's part of the fun - working things out - then working out better ways.

@Sequoia @ TonyT- I need to work on the fine detail - and french polishing - when you're so close building to something you spot every blemish - I keep pointing things out to my wife (poor lass is bored to tears now) - she wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't shown her.

@Bazuku - I wanted to keep this one - my first born uke - but my daughter want's me to 'lend' it her - which means I'll probably never see it again ! !

@MikeyB2 - good to know there's another Northerner enjoying the climate - at least we don't have to worry as much about our wood drying out too much ! !

@Timbuk - haven't seen a duff one of yours yet - I've moved a bit to the darkside now - and bought a router - makes life lots easier - but bumps up the jig count - think it will be a while before I catch you up though.

I have two bodies already built - same design as this one - just two necks to make and then it's assembly and finishing time.

After that - i'll have a crack at a tenor - plans already in progress

Thanks again for your feedback
Mike

have (hopefully) made my mistakes with this one.
You will find new ways of making mistakes - guaranteed.

Great first attempt, well done. I made 3 sopranos as a first venture into uke production. Gave one each to the kids (now 33, 31 and 29) for Christmas. They love them and are oblivious to all the mistakes. Every time I look at them I wish I could unmake them.

Each new build is an improvement on the last but it's a long, hard climb before reaching the celestial heights of Ken, Pete, Beau, Allen ... Keep at it
Miguel

I'm not a luthier but I think it looks lovely and sounds sweet. :)

@lauburu
I'm also building three as my first venture into this world - I thought it seemed a great idea to - for example do the side bending for one and then follow up quickly with the others so that the 'feel' of what I was doing was still in my finger tips - It worked a little as Ukes No 2 & 3 are much better than No1

It's been a great learning process - and I've found so many imaginative ways to make mistakes along the way - I'm becoming quite an expert in that ! ! -

I've realised that I've got quite a way to go before I can come any way close to some of the superb luthiers who contribute here - but I see that as a challenge though :)

Cheers
Mike

@WifeOnFourString

Thanks for your kind words - I am quite pleased with my first attempt - it still sound a bit 'out' to me but I'll get there with it.

You say you're not a luthier - neither am I yet !! - why not give it a go - it's amazingly good fun.

Cheers
Mike

Top Bottom