FS - G-String Hawaiian Koa Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uke Up

Reaction score
SOLD, going to a great new home!

Google photo album:https://photos.app.goo.gl/LihKq9GJdoUzdMFe8

This a Hawaiian Koa soprano ukulele handcrafted by G-String Ukulele Co in the days they were being made in Halawa, HI. I am guessing it was built between 1997 and 2007 as that is the time period G-String Ukulele Co was building ukuleles there, before moving to Hilo.

If you are familiar with Hawaiian built ukuleles, you will undoubtedly know about G-String and the quality and sound Derek Shimizu is famous for. As I understand, the majority of his builds went to, and still go to, the very, very demanding Japanese market.

The finish and build quality are stunning. There are no cracks, splits, separations or repairs. The instrument appears to completely original, including the friction tuners. It has incredible sound, action and playability.

I would say this ukulele is in great shape, but I want to point out one scuff mark (not sure what else to call it) on the back of the neck. The scuff does not go into the wood, and you don’t feel an indent or ridge when running your thumb over it. When I sent a photo of this scuff mark to a ukulele builder, he told me it would be easy to get rid of. I do not know enough about woods to experiment with any polish, oil, or anything else.

In addition, there appears to be some scuff marks on the top edge of the headstock. Again, something that may be taken care of with polish or oil or ???

This G-String soprano comes with what I believe to be the original chipboard case which is in really, really good condition. It even has a pristine “Ukulele House” sticker on it which might be where this ukulele was originally sold.In addition, there is a packet of Hilo Strings, maybe from the original ukulele purchase?

I will be trying to upload photos to Google Photos, and will post a link if I succeed. In the meantime, feel free to contact me for more/better photos or information.

I was not sure how to price this ukulele, so I’m went with a price of $465 with free shipping. PayPal.
View attachment 126903View attachment 126904View attachment 126905View attachment 126906View attachment 126907

Last edited:
I think it is priced about right, a concert with cutaway fetched about 600 a year ago on Reverb.com in excellent condition.James Hill, of course, has endorsed them historically and has a signature model.

Forgot to post that I lowered the price.

Hopefully corrected link to Google Photos?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom