Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Composing - what software do you use for standard notation?

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I know a few people who use Notion and like it. Another option is Flat.
    I've been mostly happy with Notion. For ukulele, you can also do tab pretty easily, even for custom tunings.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I own an Ipad and want to put the uke group music on it as well as record my tracks a Bluegrass group I play with sent me for a CD we're doing. Garageband is okay but no way, that I know where I can transfer sheetmusic other than copying and pasting.

I own a PC my daughter left for me to play games on and thinking of a tablet. I can input to a PC and use on an Ipad? I thought the two were seperate to the point we couldn't. Am older and not versed in new fancy tech.
    Musescore is free and full-featured provided you're willing to put in a little time to learn the interface. It will allow you to export to PDF which should be viewable on an iPad.
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

I use MuseScore on My laptop to create. It's a lot easier than trying to create on tablet - iPad or Android. I export to PDF and transfer to tablet. I use ForScore on iPad and Orpheus on Android for actually reading the music.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thank you all for your input! I will explore MuseScore a bit and see if it is what I am looking for. Thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by bobhost View Post
    An iPad is not an ideal content creation tool.
    Go to a PC and create content there. It has all the proper UI tools like a mouse and keyboard that let you have a much richer environment to create.
    iPads are great for consuming.

I use Musescore. Free. Lots of online help. Very professional looking results.
    I also have Musescore for the iPad to display the music I create on the PC.
    I'm sorry...I just disagree with this. For most users, Notion can do just about anything on iPad that you need it to do...and it is especially friendly with ukulele. I love that I can enter notes using a ukulele fretboard.

There's also StaffPad, which is really coming along--but it doesn't have much in terms of ukulele/guitar support right now.

I also love Notion on the Mac...and anything you do on the Mac (it has a few more tools than the iPad version) transfers to the iPad.

There are a bunch of great computer programs: Finale, Sibelius, Dorico, MuseScore, Notion, Forte (Windows only)...and the list goes on.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

I prefer Sibelius over Finale, because it seems more user-friendly and less complicate, but overall they are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I've been mostly happy with Notion. For ukulele, you can also do tab pretty easily, even for custom tunings.
    I have been looking into Notion. Was it easy or hard to get it to recognize your handwriting?
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned F-Bb-D-G w/Worth Browns)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (tuned A-D-F#-B w/Savarez classical guitar strings)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Quote Originally Posted by John boy View Post
    I have been looking into Notion. Was it easy or hard to get it to recognize your handwriting?
    I haven't tried that. I've been using the onscreen keyboard and fretboard for note entry. Also input from MIDI files.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

I used a typewriter to fill a page with lines and then took a picture of it. Then, using the “mark up,” feature on my iPad, write whatever I want in top of it.

You can’t hear it, but there’s no learning curve at all to it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LukuleleStrings View Post
    I used a typewriter to fill a page with lines and then took a picture of it. Then, using the “mark up,” feature on my iPad, write whatever I want in top of it.

You can’t hear it, but there’s no learning curve at all to it. ;-)
    Haha. I'd never think anyone would use a typewriter and iPad at the same time. Now, all I can think about is a manual typewrite (non-electric) where, firstly the darkness of the lines (dashes, assuming the manual doesn't have underscore) aren't even, plus, they aren't all lined up (mechanical tolerances), and worse, there are gaps between the dashes!

But, you CAN hear it. It's just inside your head.

As for notation software, I don't do much music stuff anymore, so I can't help you too much. But, I'd like to point out that Sonar is free (has been for a few years); this is a DAW system with capabilities beyond Musescore (well, actually, I guess they are different animals, but a lot of Musescore users seems to want to use Musescore in a DAW capacity).

Thread Information