Just ordered a custom bass uke from Bruce Wei.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I couldn't sleep the other night so I occupied myself surfing eBay when I came across a tenor uke being sold by Bruce Wei of an absolutely beautiful carved arch top and back design. I immediately sent him an email asking if he could make that into a 22.75" scale bass uke.

He replied that he could, it will take about three months and cost $700. I put together a mockup and sent in the order. I added the fern like design to the head plate to complete the look. Very much looking forward to this one. It will bring my bass collection to thirty.

BWA Custom carved frt-bck.jpg

Last edited:
That's not just an instrument, that's a work of art! Can't wait to see pics of the real thing when it's all done!

That mock-up makes a statement! I hope you have a suit to match. :cool::music::cool:

Are you going to go with a fretted or fretless neck on that one? Whichever you choose, I'm curious how that bass uke will sound amplified.

Day-um! :drool:

I wish you good luck.

I had Wei make me an 8-string tenor. It's beautiful. However, it sounds terrible, no matter which strings I put on it. One benefit: if I sit on my front porch and play it, stray cats & dogs stay out of my yard for at least a week.

Are you going to go with a fretted or fretless neck on that one? Whichever you choose, I'm curious how that bass uke will sound amplified.

Fretted. I had him make me a fretless about six years ago but I couldn't get used to playing it. It's been in a the closet for about 4 years. I have a preamp and pickup so I'm actually going to have my builder, Eric's Guitar, install them, as well as a set of Gotoh gold tuning machines that I have.

Day-um! :drool:

That's pretty much what I said Jim.

I wish you good luck. I had Wei make me an 8-string tenor. It's beautiful. However, it sounds terrible, no matter which strings I put on it. One benefit: if I sit on my front porch and play it, stray cats & dogs stay out of my yard for at least a week.

He's made me three tenor ukes in the last 7 years and I have one ready made that all sound very good to me. I'm very happy with his work. I'm going to use a set of Aquila Thundergut strings I have.

Wow, if it plays like it looks, zowie!

Top Bottom