no adjustable truss rod?

I think there is a bit of "trendiness" going on with truss rods in ukes. No nylon-stringed instrument "needs" a truss rod, though having one CAN be convenient if your humidity changes frequently, or you are always experimenting with different gauge strings. The vast majority of classical guitars do not have truss rods. They only become necessary when steel strings are introduced with their much greater tension.

In guitars the truss rod adjusts the relief in the neck. You use it to put just a bit of a bow into the neck. It has always been my understanding that ukuleles don't have relief.

Many artisan-built ukuleles do have relief. This facilitates low and easily playable setup. Granted, this may not be very useful at the shorter scale lengths. For necks of 16" and longer, I put a few thousandths of relief in the top of the neck before gluing on the fretboard and sand the fretboard after installation if a bit of correction proves necessary. This works nicely with with a carbon fiber rod in the neck, promoting stability of the neck as the string tension pulls against the carbon. As far as I know, not many custom ukulele builders use adjustable truss rods.

Last edited:
Top Bottom