WHat's Going on with my Koaloha?

sully151

Reaction score
I have a beautiful Tenor. Sounds like a dream, but its is so quiet right now. My beater concert is a cannon compared to the Koaloha.

It used to seem louder and more full when I had it strung low G. I now have it strung high G. Could it simply be the strings I put on it have quieted it down? I think I have Worth Fluorocarbon's on it now.

I'm going to guess that this is string related, but mostly because every KoAloha I have played was like a sound cannon. They are typically crazy loud.

The Worth's you have on now, are they clears or browns, and are they by an chance the low-tension set? Lower tension strings are usually quieter than higher tension sets.

Thanks, everyone. I suppose I should either go back to Low G, or maybe try a different set of strings.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that this is string related, but mostly because every KoAloha I have played was like a sound cannon. They are typically crazy loud.

The Worth's you have on now, are they clears or browns, and are they by an chance the low-tension set? Lower tension strings are usually quieter than higher tension sets.

I have Worth CT-63's on it.

Changes in humidity can cause a solid wood instrument to get louder or quieter. Did you just go through a cold (or warm) snap? Turn on heat or A/C?

What is the beater concert?

Its a 23 year old R & L Hawaiian Ukulele. I got it when I went to Hawaii many years ago. Its Koa, but not sure how good it is. The only reason its a beater is because its lived a rough life between living on a Tallship for a few years, to many camping trips, and its had some repairs to fix some cracks and a bridge that is separating because it had a noun metal c string on it for the first few years of its life.

The Koaloha used to be quite a bit louder than the concert.

I switched from worth clears to oasis on my KO Aloha tenor and am getting more volume and more low-mid.

Could be it opened up. Instruments change over time and with use. Some sound better over time, but there is no laws of nature that says it can't go dull instead.

That combo of high G Worth strings and a KoAloha tenor should be vibrant and loud.

I had changed the strings on a Martin Soprano in the recent past and simultaneously sanded down the saddle for action. And after I did that, it sounded absolutely wimpy too--tinny, hollow, almost like a toy plastic uke. (To be fair, this was a laminate instrument...so not too far off from plastic...but still.) It was especially bad on the A string. I thought I had ruined the saddle by going too low, so I went and bought a replacement part. But then, I let the instrument sit for a few days on the wall, and suddenly, it "worked" again and sounded like you'd expect with that Martin soprano bark. Hopefully your KoAloha sounds good again after settling in by now.

Top Bottom