c-string has much longer sustain than others

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a ukulele (D'Angelico Bayside Concert with stock strings) and noticed that the C-string has a much longer sustain (about 2x) than the other strings. This causes everything to have this middle C overtone (because of the long sustain, the C is also much louder because it doesn't decay as fast).

I don't remember having this issue with another ukulele that I had 5 years ago. Unfortunately, that uke was destroyed. But I'm also not noticing this with any of my guitars.

It is kind of annoying; is it normal? My only experience with the ukulele is from 5 years ago (and only for a few months).

Thanks.

The best way to control sustain is by damping strings with right hand so they are all cut off at the same time at required note length. If one string like c stands out otherwise then it may be due to an unbalanced set which sometimes happens when people just grab strings from bulk piles in the factory. Try using a fresh set of strings.

A set of new quality strings should help balance the sound. Often the stock strings aren't of the best quality.

The C string is normally a little dominate with Re-entrant (High-g) tuning. It's the lowest and will be a little louder. But it shouldn't overpower everything.

Strings are relatively inexpensive and available by mail. Try a set of Aquila Nylgut or Super Nylgut on your uke. They are well-made Nylon strings. And a great way to improve the sound of your ukulele.

Thanks for the suggestions; really appreciate them. Actually, I've already ordered a set of new strings, but thye won't arrive until end of May.

It is just amazing that the C-string can sustain this much longer than the other strings. I thought maybe something else may be wrong like the groves on the nut or whatever, I have no idea. But your comments encouraged me that my problem can be solved without returning the ukulele. So I'll put up with this problem for now.

Thanks again.

This is a common problem that probably has to do with the resonance of the ukulele body. You may also notice that the C an octave up on the A string is louder than the notes around it, but the difference is less pronounced. In the same vein, all my ukes have dead sounding, out of tune F's or F#'s. Many violinists complain of the same problem with the note C or thereabouts.

What to do? You can pluck it softer, but I don't see a way of strumming it softer than the strings around it. I often avoid the open C (and low G) by playing in higher positions.

You can try different string sets, or mix and match. My tenor currently has Oasis Brights for A and E, Fremont Blackline for the C, and Fremont wound for the low G, all chosen for balance but not pretty to look at. I haven't tried it yet, but I've been meaning to try a nylon string only on the C because nylon is supposed to have less resonance.

If you figure something out, please share. As I said, this is a very common problem.

If you figure something out, please share. As I said, this is a very common problem.

I'll share what I find out, but I doubt I'll be able to provide much.

Besides tuning, I just play. I don't really know much about maintenance and repairs. I've only replaced the strings on my guitars 3 times in 10 years; and each time it's because my kid or friend's kid broke them. In fact, my guitars has been in cases for the last 3 years; only now, I've reopened them because my kid wants to listen to guitar. And my kid promptly broke a string on it (hence I've also ordered strings for this ukulele).

Now, I'm wondering if I should just return this ukulele. The first one I bought 5 years ago worked perfectly out of the box. I would have just bought that same one except this uke was on sale. I'll have to think about returning it if a string replacement can't fix it. The C-string is truly overpowering (annoyingly so).

Hmmmm, that's weird. Most C strings I've had die way faster than the others. A lot of them have even been dead, making only a thud.
Strange...

My problem has disappeared on its own. I noticed that the C-string resonance started to decrease 2 days ago; and started to match the other strings yesterday.

I have not done anything to this uke (only tuning and playing). Obviously something must have changed in the uke, but I don't know what. It plays pretty good now so I'm happy.

I'm guessing that maybe because this uke was new (received 10 days ago); so maybe it has adjusted to my house now. But then again, none of my other guitars or ukulele ever had this problem when new out of the box, but my experience is limited.

Anyway, I'm very happy and appreciate everybody's help. Thanks.

Hmmmm, that's weird. Most C strings I've had die way faster than the others. A lot of them have even been dead, making only a thud.
Strange...

Hi, I don't think that's normal. All strings should resonate similarly in order for the instrument to play in general. Maybe some people purposely change this to get a more unique tone(?) or work around things like a handicap(?) but I don't know of anyone that does it, so this is just a guess. In general, all strings should behave similarly and shouldn't be "way faster" or "dead.. thud", asusming you're fretting correctly (for example, if you move your finger around too early, the currently playing note is obviously not going to stay the whole duration).

That's common behavior. When my wife and I owned a guitar shop, we never let any customers play an instrument until it was strung up to pitch for a couple days, preferably a week. Every guitar and ukulele we sold or owned needed time for the soundboard to flex into shape and acclimate to the local weather. During that time, woof tones come and go, dead notes come and go, buzzes come and go, tone and volume changes, etc.

My problem has disappeared on its own. I noticed that the C-string resonance started to decrease 2 days ago; and started to match the other strings yesterday.

I have not done anything to this uke (only tuning and playing). Obviously something must have changed in the uke, but I don't know what. It plays pretty good now so I'm happy.

I'm guessing that maybe because this uke was new (received 10 days ago); so maybe it has adjusted to my house now. But then again, none of my other guitars or ukulele ever had this problem when new out of the box, but my experience is limited.

Anyway, I'm very happy and appreciate everybody's help. Thanks.

I think sustain, particularly on the C string, has a lot to do with tuning, and the natural overtone series. Plucking the C string, the first overtone is the C octave up, but the second overtone is G. Now, you have a G string. So, if the tuning is just right, plucking the C should get the G string vibrating in harmonic sympathy. That would increase both the volume and sustain of what you're hearing. Conversely, if the tuning is off, the interaction between the strings could dampen the sound, resulting in the "thud" sound that was mentioned. That's just my thinking on the matter, I have no authority for it.

I think sustain, particularly on the C string, has a lot to do with tuning, and the natural overtone series. Plucking the C string, the first overtone is the C octave up, but the second overtone is G. Now, you have a G string. So, if the tuning is just right, plucking the C should get the G string vibrating in harmonic sympathy. That would increase both the volume and sustain of what you're hearing. Conversely, if the tuning is off, the interaction between the strings could dampen the sound, resulting in the "thud" sound that was mentioned. That's just my thinking on the matter, I have no authority for it.

Probably not. After all, fretted instruments are tuned in equal temperment, so on a properly tuned instrument all intervals except for the octave are slightly out of tune. Significant sympathetic vibration other than the same note seems unlikely to me. Gochugogi's experience in his post above suggesting that it is the expansion or contraction of the wood due to change of climate makes sense to me. The OP didn't mention where he got the ukulele or if he knows if the conditions changed.

On really fine instruments, there is significant sympathetic vibration of other other strings—and not the the same note. On lessor instruments not so much. The extra ringing chimes impart a reverb like sound, something I crave and look for. Of course it's more apparent on guitars than ukuleles due to the presence of additional bass strings and longer sustain.

I have a similar problem with my third string. Played open it has a lot more volume that the others. It does this in gCEA and dGBE tuning. This Ohana is my most expensive uku and sounds lovely, except for the Booming third string. I've had it for over a year now and played it some as my cheap Caramels do just fine and sound good to my funky ears. It still booms out it's third string unless I fret it. I've tried several different string sets and all are the same. Wierd!??

I have a similar problem with my third string. Played open it has a lot more volume that the others. It does this in gCEA and dGBE tuning. This Ohana is my most expensive uku and sounds lovely, except for the Booming third string. I've had it for over a year now and played it some as my cheap Caramels do just fine and sound good to my funky ears. It still booms out it's third string unless I fret it. I've tried several different string sets and all are the same. Wierd!??

Your uke's body resonance is probably reinforcing the third string if this only happens when played open. Probably the B harmonic when it's tuned to E.

It's worth trying adding a little mass to the top - a blob of poster putty is the kind of thing. Start with it on the bridge and then move it around the top. If you find a spot where it cures or reduces the problem, reduce the size until it comes back then add back a little. Now you can make or find something the same weight, and glue it inside at the same spot.

If it happens on all fretted notes then I have no idea!

Top Bottom