Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video of experiment with a bad neck joint.

Default Video of experiment with a bad neck joint.

I though about doing it this way after reading about something similar by David Hurd.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8fIy9XbAnA
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

That's an interesting video Ken. When its French polished, is it undetectable?

I know Mrs T finishes the box and neck separately. If the two were joined before finishing, it suggests that simply gluing together with Translucent Titebond and sawdust and careful clean up would also result in a 'perfect joint'. What do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by greenscoe View Post
    That's an interesting video Ken. When its French polished, is it undetectable?

I know Mrs T finishes the box and neck separately. If the two were joined before finishing, it suggests that simply gluing together with Translucent Titebond and sawdust and careful clean up would also result in a 'perfect joint'. What do you reckon?
    Mrs T doesn’t like to finish with the neck joined and fret board fitted, it gives her problems..So I try and get the joint as good as possible first ..even then I find that after the FP is applied the joint still needs more flossing work.
    But I think you are right about the translucent glue and sawdust it will give a good almost invisible joint...even after the FP.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I just did the same thing with a 22" six string that I was making for myself. I hack an arm bevel on it after the body was done, I had issues with the neck joint and just filled with wood dust and Titebond. Not a visually good looking joint but I spent enough time on the guitar already.

Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t usually do my neck joints this way ...it’s just something I wanted to try out seeing as I had this translucent glue...I think it could be useful in some applications.

It is always good to have some tricks in your bag to pull out when you may need them.

I will be making cheap and dirty instruments to give away to underprivileged school kids and am trying different things to cut time and save money on them. I might just go to a Spanish Heel build though. I will be making myself a better practice guitar but I hacked one of my experiment school kids guitars for a bevel. I need it otherwise I can not practice playing guitar due to the edge of a guitar irritating my arm.

I’ve never used “transparent” glue. But here’s a trick I learned from building furniture where you sometimes need to correct minor imperfections. When wood dust gets wet it usually turns it a darker color that the original wood, so if you can, try to make some dust from a lighter colored wood. And if you’ve got some plain old Elmer’s white household glue it works better than Titebond.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    And if you’ve got some plain old Elmer’s white household glue it works better than Titebond.
    Absolutely. Elmers glue, made from casein, a byproduct of milk, isn't very strong but it dries clear whereas Titebond dries yellow which darkens the wood dust even more. Strength of bonding is not an issue with cosmetic fixes so go with Elmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    I’ve never used “transparent” glue. But here’s a trick I learned from building furniture where you sometimes need to correct minor imperfections. When wood dust gets wet it usually turns it a darker color that the original wood, so if you can, try to make some dust from a lighter colored wood. And if you’ve got some plain old Elmer’s white household glue it works better than Titebond.
    I looked on eBay UK for Elmers glue ...there are loads of em School glue, PVA glue, Clear glue, Slime glue, etc: ...as I have an almost full bottle of Titebond translucent, I’ll stick with ..it works ok for me

whats Slime Glue ?

I'd be interested to know if there's a glue that when mixed with wood dust as a filler as Ken has done, that would take stain or dye once dried.

Thread Information