Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes mango?

Default Who likes mango?

Any mango fans here? I had a mango Pono tenor a while back. I liked it, but was looking a deeper tone, and swapped for mahogany.

Saw this Kanilea mango tenor on FMM today, what a beauty!

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    John

I've never had an instrument made of mango but I adore the looks of that particular wood when it's figured (or flamed in the pics above). For example, the Romero Creations ukes made of mango look brilliant. The issue for me is that the tone just often isn't quite there. Many brands that make mango ukes also make the same models in koa whose tone I much prefer over mango so it's hard for me to justify getting a mango uke.

I love the tone of Mango. Only have one but it is very different to anything else I have. Would love to try a Mango baritone one day.

What is FMM?
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

I had Bruce Wei make me a custom uke of solid spalted mango top, solid flame mango body in a design he originated with sound holes all around the bouts, not on top. It came out great, plays really well and only cost $445 including shipping.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 05-05-2020 at 11:41 AM.

I really like my Pono Mango Tenor for beauty and tone. Before buying it I tried three models: Mahogany, Mango and Acacia. Just like Goldilocks, the Mango was "just right" for me, even better after Worth Browns were installed. I also own a Pono Acacia Baritone that I kike very much but the wood is not nearly as pretty as the Mango.

About a year ago there was a Pono UL4-15, Steel string, mango baritone for sale here in the "Marketplace". I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it before some other lucky player got it.
    PA140560.jpgPA140551.jpgPA250568.jpg

I like the darker stain on this one, slothead too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233553888132
    John

I like to eat mangoes!

Years ago I had a mango soprano from a prominent luthier, but I didn't love it. Not sure if it was the instrument build or the wood itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I've never had an instrument made of mango but I adore the looks of that particular wood when it's figured (or flamed in the pics above). For example, the Romero Creations ukes made of mango look brilliant. The issue for me is that the tone just often isn't quite there. Many brands that make mango ukes also make the same models in koa whose tone I much prefer over mango so it's hard for me to justify getting a mango uke.
    I generally like the tone of mango, but at the same time, I prefer loud volume, which mango doesn't always seem to give. Case in point, my Pono mango pineapple has a beautiful tone, but is on the quiet side. Although my experience with Pono is that they aren't particularly loud ukes, so maybe it's the construction.

Similarly, I recently went back and listened to all the HMS sound samples of Romero Replicas on Vimeo, just to hear the differences in their tonewoods. I found them to be mostly similar--it helped that it was the same song and setting/set up for most of them. That was for the koa, spalted mango, spruce/mahogany, and all mahogany. I did find the spruce/acacia and the walnut models to sound the most different, though they're also played in different settings with different songs by a different person.

My experience with mango so far: the tone of the Pono pineapple was better (to my ears) than other Ponos. But like those other Ponos, on the quieter side. I might put that one up for sale. Romero's Replica in mango seems to sound very similar to other Replicas (and have decent volume). For Rebels, their mango has both decent volume and a great tone--in fact, when I was researching Rebels, I found that most people seemed to prefer the mango to their spruce/mahogany, although I think my preference is the other way.

I like my Pono MGT Tenor Mango a lot. It's the base model with a satin finish. I compared the sound with the Deluxe and PC models and thought the satin sounded more open.

The all-mango tenor is definitely warmer and, dare I say, more mellow than the all-Acacia or all-Mahogany models. I have it strung with Worth Browns, which seem to accentuate the warmth.

It certainly isn't a loud tenor. It does have a really pleasant chime to it. Which suits a lot of songs I play.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

42D58F33-9D8B-4F5D-A884-3E328B0AA411.jpg 847BCCE4-01B7-46CD-82BD-70C43846A5D7.jpg

I have really enjoyed my Pono UL4-15 steel string Baritone.
    TomtheBaptist

Thread Information