Concert or Tenor Beginners Uke with 1.5 inch Nut Width?

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
A friend has asked me for advice re purchasing a first Uke that has a nut width of 1.5 inches. I recommended a budget of US$125-150. Most that I have looked at have been 1&3/8”.
Can anyone recommend some instruments that are in this zone?

My advice is, unless she is a guitar player, don't do it. Stick with 1&3/8ths.

Islander MC-4 and MT-4 have a wide nut and should be within budget or close

Islander MC-4 and MT-4 have a wide nut and should be within budget or close

Thanks Jim. These look like they might be a good starting point for my friend. I would like to recommend that she purchases one from a retailer who will do a good setup. I checked HMS but they are out of stock at the moment. I’ll search some other sources that I have confidence in and see if they are available.

Another note for Islander. Uke Republic has them.

I don't like having the strings right up to the edge of the fretboard since that makes pull-offs on the A-string really hard to do cleanly. I like what Koaloha and Kanilea are doing having a wider fretboard for chords and more space for pull-offs and other fingerstyle techniques.

I am totally with you on this subject, Man0a!

My cautious recommendation would be a Kanile'a Islander, my favorite economy to mid-range line. However, over the years, Kanile'a has reduced the string spacing from 30mm to just 28.5mm (little more than the 27mm which is most prevalent with standard 1-3/8" [35mm] nuts), and I have a couple of Islanders that came with just a 27mm spacing. Conversely, I have some 35mm-nut ukes that have the same or greater string spread as on wider-nut ukes. That no one comments on the spread on these models suggests that most people are relatively clueless about what impact the nut width and/or string spread actually has. It's more likely that their "experience" is not at all objective, but rather is based mostly on their preset expectations (confirmation bias) and other factors like neck profile which they don't sufficiently take into account. Because nut width is the most advertised factor, people just assume any difference they think they feel must be attributable to that.

Curiously, people seldom mention how the string spacing varies going up the neck—largely a function of the spread at the saddle. On all ukes, this dwarfs the modest spread difference at the nut. If your friend plays up the fretboard, saddle spread is likely to be a more important factor than the nut width or spread at the nut.

I'm only quoting part of your statement, and I don't think I'm taking anything out of context. When I decided to start reviewing ukuleles in a different way last summer, I thought about what aspects should be discussed in a review--and even asked the question here on UU. I was fully aware of what others were doing in terms of reviews and wanted to bring a slightly different angle to those reviews--otherwise, other than my opinion (which we all have), why do reviews?

I agree with you that we don't talk string spacing enough--and at some point Barry Maz started talking about the spacing of strings, too (in a specific measured way rather than generally). I decided to use a common point to talk about string spacing...measuring as well as I could at the 1st fret (digital caliper). Not all manufacturers are able to space the strings evenly, which is also a consideration.

I've never thought about discussing string spacing for the right hand, because it just doesn't seem to matter as much--much like the action at the 12th fret. Early on in my playing, people mainly talked about the action at the 12th fret. It turns out that you can have a preference there, but most people don't have the sensitivity to know if the action at the 12th fret is 2mm or 3mm...or anywhere in between. However, I've learned that action at the nut, generally measured at the 1st fret, impacts players so much more. I'd say the same is true with spacing for the right hand...whether the strings fan out a bit more on the saddle (or not as much) has far less of an impact on how I play than the string spacing for the left hand.

Top Bottom