Aquila Squekless sugar strings finally available

Another update: The original sugars had a texture similar to fluorocarbon, which I really liked. The new ones are more similar to nylgut. For people who like the feel of nylguts, they’re great and have an interesting sound and really worth trying. I’ve gone back to fluoro.

For me, it was a learning experience and fun to try, but I liked the old sugars better, despite the squeak. But my tastes evolve so I may come around to them again.

They are nice quality strings. Perhaps they lean a little closer in tone/feel to Nylguts than fluorocarbon, but they are clean and clear with a nice body to the sound. They have a nice quality all the way up the fretboard.

Just put a set on my Libero soprano by Marco Todeschini:

Although they seem just as squeaky as always, I have to admit that I like the sound and feel, especially that they have way less string tension than Aquila nyleguts. And: If played with your nails it's actually not as bad as in the recording. Anyway, they're anything but squeakless. :D

Hear for yourself: http://ukulelezeit.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/sqeaky.wav

Mimmo, I purchased a few sets a couple days ago. The strings arrived yesterday and I put a set on my mahogany soprano (Kiwaya KTS-5), replacing original sugars that's been on for over a year. Sound wise, they are similar to the original sugars. I love the sound, loud, bright and clear! Perfect for my soprano. I have not noticed any squeak yet, so I am very happy!

Thanks Mimmo!!!!

I ordered several sets of the new sugar strings, both low & high G, and after trying them on a couple of tenor ukes, I think I prefer the older sugar strings that have a more fluorocarbon-like texture. I’ve always liked nylguts and the texture of the new sugar strings is similar but they still have a similar squeak as the older ones. But they all have a wonderful sound.

I’m keeping some sets for future use, but I have 3 extra sets each of low and high G tenor "new" sugar strings, so if anyone has any of the older "sugar" strings for tenors, or any fluorocarbon strings, they'd like to swap, please PM me.

Interesting, and Mimmo's products are good. How can you distinguish to old sugars from the new sugars ??

Interesting, and Mimmo's products are good. How can you distinguish to old sugars from the new sugars ??

There’s a gold star in the top right corner of the package that says “squeakless” on the new ones. Probably hard to find retail for the next few months. All of us got them directly from Aquila.

Hello!
On an impulse, I bought a set of you tenor scale Sugar Strings... what a disappointment!
I mean, I think it's great that you are working towards sustainability, and that is why I chose these... but... the squeaking is driving me nuts...
I was online at the Ukulele Underground site and posted about how awful these strings are, and that the squeaking is driving me to distraction! I said to the members there to avoid these strings unless a pick is used.
Then, another member posted that these strings have been reformulated and don't squeak anymore... Wish I had known that before I bought these!
Here is what I propose: If you would be so kind as to send me a replacement set of squeakless strings, I'll go back onto UU and post and updated review.
Let me know!
Bill

Hello!
On an impulse, I bought a set of you tenor scale Sugar Strings... what a disappointment!
I mean, I think it's great that you are working towards sustainability, and that is why I chose these... but... the squeaking is driving me nuts...
I was online at the Ukulele Underground site and posted about how awful these strings are, and that the squeaking is driving me to distraction! I said to the members there to avoid these strings unless a pick is used.
Then, another member posted that these strings have been reformulated and don't squeak anymore... Wish I had known that before I bought these!
Here is what I propose: If you would be so kind as to send me a replacement set of squeakless strings, I'll go back onto UU and post and updated review.
Let me know!
Bill

wow...and I thought I was on UU

Interesting. I participated in evaluating the original Sugars. I liked the sound a lot. To me, they sounded like a good blend of Nylgut & Fluorocarbon strings. But my fingers prefer thinner Fluoros. And the squeak was too much. I kept them on a Pono tenor and tested them every week. The squeak did go away after about two months.

The original ones I tried were glass smooth. And absolutely clear. No texture to them at all.

My understanding is that the new ones are translucent and have a slight texture to them. But i have not tried them.

The new squeakless strings look more like Aquila Nylgut strings, opaque and slightly white but not quite as white as New Nylgut or Super Nylgut. I recently tried Super Nylguts again and noticed that even they squeak a little bit. The new squeakless strings still squeak but basically only as much as regular nylguts, i.e., very little.

Regarding the complaint about the original sugars, you might want to send the complaint straight to Aquila via their website or email. Mimmo does read this forum but you should go through the proper channels. And even then, I don't know how likely it is that you'll get replacement strings. The squeakiness on the original sugar strings will go away over time. I remember Alex from the Southern Ukulele Store mention on one of his videos that applying some guitar polish on the strings made the squeakiness go away almost instantly so that might be worth a try as well.

I remember Alex from the Southern Ukulele Store mention on one of his videos that applying some guitar polish on the strings made the squeakiness go away almost instantly so that might be worth a try as well.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but I've used string lubricants made for wound strings on guitars with some success. I've never tried it on ukuleles or on nylon or fluorocarbon strings, though.

Top Bottom