WTB Kala Elite Tenor Ukulele Satin Finish

Eliza

Reaction score
Rosewood and spruce are my first choice, but will consider others. It must be a satin finish.

Thanks,

Eliza

Rosewood and spruce are my first choice, but will consider others. It must be a satin finish.

Thanks,

Eliza

Did Kala make such a uke in spruce and rosewood and satin finish? I've followed this line fairly closely but don't remember such a model...
I remember a gorgeous gloss finished spruce and myrtle version.

I'm pretty sure the Elite series at least has an entry level KOA model in all satin. I believe the higher KOA levels may have a satin neck and gloss body. I'm not sure about the Spruce model. Kala is good about responding to e-mail inquiries if in doubt.

The Koa 1 and Doghair Elites are both satin. All the other Elites I've seen were gloss. However, it's pretty easy to convert gloss to satin: an hour with micro mesh pads and you'd have a satin finish. I should mention, all my satin guitars and ukuleles develop high gloss in areas continually touched, e.g., neck and and lower bout where my arm touches. I converted the neck of one of my instruments back to satin but a year later it's super glossy again. My thumb seems to be a darn good buffer...

Yeah, satin bodies are prone to noise, a surprising loud "sheeeeetit" or sanding sound when your shirt rubs the finish, spoiling many a recording session. On the other hand, gloss is much quieter against the body but prone to thumb farts or rub sounds on the neck. Somehow satin is more subdued and squeakiness against a thumb. Thus, the ultimate finish for recording is a gloss body and satin neck.

The 2017 Tenor Kala Spruce/Myrtle Custom Elite I bought here on the Marketplace has a gloss body with satin neck.

Satin finish, all Koa 2019 1KOA, mint condition with new cases; PM.

Yes, it is new for this year — rosewood and spruce. The Southern Ukulele Store YouTube channel has a nice review.

Top Bottom